Design Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by PSmith, Dec 14, 2019.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Alexanov - what software do you use for hull fairing? Have you ever used Rhino?

2. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

I think we are talking about a certain type of modeling here. Of course you can get acceptable things and pass over small problems, or find other compromises, but I think he intends this type of problematic you specifically. I have been using Rhino since version 2.
    Understanding Class A Modeling | Alias Products 2019 | Autodesk Knowledge Network https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/alias-products/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/Alias-Tutorials/files/GUID-64611955-D2CC-44F2-98F0-D4F1FE931D8B-htm.html
    and here a talk about Rhino.
    Class A surfaces in Rhino https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/class-a-surfaces-in-rhino/5583/5

The problem mentioned above is a long-known problem on NURBS. which instead does not happen with the subdivision surfaces but they lack precision, but even there you can get excellent results.
    I remember a time, when I was working with files made from others in Autocad 2d made by inexperienced architects in the use of the Software and I often found myriads of errors, with overlapping lines and other errors, with the consequences of having inefficient files, but these if sent to printers were still good, but they created problems in the use of cutting machines or anything else and always needed cleaning.

For example, automotive and aerospace design often require "Class A" surfaces to give the highest geometric quality in terms of smoothness and continuity between surfaces.

nurbs Class A surface continuity a class - Google Search nurbs Class A surface continuity a class - Google Search https://www.google.com/search?q=nurbs+Class+A+surface+continuity+a+class&client=ubuntu&channel=fs&sxsrf=ACYBGNQ3vDCTJ2hrvE1Uk2Fw0IZ049CEnQ:1577821458168&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZv6H80uDmAhXowAIHHb7BCoUQ_AUoAXoECA0QAw&biw=1366&bih=643

3. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I was interested to see the comments about nesting and Rhino.I have actually used the Rhino nesting add on and found it good.It allows for part-or grain-orientation as well as user specified gaps between parts and sheet edges and produces a result in good time.The cost a few years ago was a little over half the basic Rhino price.Since we also had RhinoCAM it was simple to prepare cutting files for the parts without the inconvenience of having to translate the files for another piece of software.I wish we could attract comments from people with experience of the Orca plug in.

4. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

I use ShapeMaker. Actually we start to use this software in Norway 20 years ago. Even before Rhino appear on the market.
    Now may be 30-40% of Norwegian ships faired by ShapeMaker ready for production. At least all projects from Salt Ship Design Salt Ship Design - Home https://saltship.com/ Here I am not tolking about automotive and aerospace design, just practical solution for ship building. Quite many yards build ships based on our hull shapes without any complaints. Look at https://www.shmexpert.com/ I will be happy to help you with everything related to hull shape.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    TANSL likes this.
  5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Alexanov, are you the author and developer of Shaper Maker software, not just a user?

6. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

Some how we need to test the software. I am naval architect, not just a programmer. For my opinion before propose something to other you have to test it yourself.

TANSL likes this.
  7. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

pafurijaz likes this.
  8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

@DCockey, something equivalent or similar created with Rhino ?. I have no double intention with my question, I just want to know that tool better.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020

9. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

NURBS is a NURBS in any CAD. It has same mathematical nature. But Shape Maker design from beginning for naval architecture, have tools for dynamic modification of hull shape. When you modify position of surface control polygon the hull sections and sections curvature will be dynamically updated. The model of surface in Shape Maker has a topological links between elements. When you change shape of line, all surface patches, linked to this line will follow the line. There is no gaps between connected patches and lot of other nice things for naval architects. You can generate lines drawing, offset table, shell expansion drawings, solved any tasks on hull shape geometry. Even make shell plates, fold it and prepare all shell plate templates for production. SM perfectly feet with any other CAD software. It is tested many years with close connection to many different yards and designers. But it may be not good enough to jewelry or cars surfaces modeling.

TANSL likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.