Design Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by PSmith, Dec 14, 2019.

1. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Rhino will do a great job of producing a "traditional" set of hull lines.The way you go about it can be to treat it as an electronic version of a drawing board and just operate in 2 dimensions with references from each view as in the old days.Alternatively you can produce 3D surfaces (and adjust them) and then project waterlines,buttocks and sections through those surfaces on a different layer.If you then de-activate the layer with the surfaces on it,you will be left with a lines plan.

The comments about the usefulness of the hydrostatics functions of Rhino are quite possibly justified in comparison to Maxsurf and other dedicated naval architecture programs.On the other hand Rhino will import and export lots of file types,and thus its easy to exchange files with Autocad users among others.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Rhino is very good and very cheap but the design of ships requires many other calculations besides hydrostatic values. I am not sure that Rhinos allows to perform all the calculations that a naval architecture professional needs to perform.

pafurijaz likes this.
  3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

And I doubt we ever will either.

There are far too many "skill sets" that are required to design and perform naval architecture calculations to satisfy the objective.
    These programmes are just 'tools', nothing else.
    Without the naval architect, these programmes are just that...lines of code!

Alexanov and pafurijaz like this.
  4. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

To be ones never seen any model from Rhino witch you can use directly for production. It is always some areas where is necessary to do some adjustment.

5. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

Agree. Software is just a tool. Everything depends of naval architect qualification. If you don’t feel of hull lines no any software will help.

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What are typical problems with Rhino models? Are they due to fundamental problems with the software, or are they user created?

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

How can you nest several parts in a cliché and creaste files for numerical control cutting in Rhino?

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

A colleague manually nests plywood parts directly in Rhino. He has tried automatic nesting plug-ins for Rhino but has found he prefers to have direct control over grain orientation on individual parts. TANSL, why are you skeptical about the ability to nest parts using Rhino?

He uses the RhinoCAM plug-in for Rhino to generate the control code for his CNC machine.

9. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The software can be very good but I think whoever has done the nesting has to improve his work.;)

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Respected DCockey, I'm not skeptical, I just don't know if you can carry out that and many other tasks necessary to design a ship. That is why I am asking.
    One question I have (and I have a real interest in knowing) is if, with the amount of plug-ins, add-ins, complements, ... that Rhino must be added to serve the ship's designer, its price will be so competitive.

pafurijaz likes this.
  12. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

I did this type of work for a few years, and it was always something I hated to do, trying not to waste material had become a nightmare, sometimes we inserted small pieces of standard use as reinforcements for the diesel tanks, at the end in warehouse we had a lot of quantities of these reinforcements of various sizes for and unions pipes of the tanks and other types of reinforcements for sleeves.

13. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

Mostly it’s a mix of user created problems, models defects and lack of hull shape quality control and editing tools. Shaded hull shape looks nice, but when you look deeply into details.... What I usually discover is gaps between surfaces, bumpy lines and wrong hull shape splitting for patches. It looks good for presentation, but if you what to modeling something more real you have to spend hours for making correct model. I have one friend, who likes Rhino and use it for many years, but even he said it is not system for hull lines fairing.

pafurijaz and TANSL like this.
  14. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Yeah that is true, for e perfect work you need to spend days, on the drawings of right construction lines and surfaces in to abating a clean surfaces.

15. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

When somebody tell me that in some CAD program he can make hull shape in minutes I assume that this person do not understand what he is talking about.

TANSL likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.