Design schools

Discussion in 'Education' started by Kosmic Sheep, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Kosmic Sheep

Kosmic Sheep Junior Member

Now this has probably been asked, but what schools are good to look into? I'm looking for ones that aren't considered really expensive, and I'm looking for schools preferably in the Northeast US, though anywhere will work. Not marine engineering schools, but naval architecture. I have about a 4.5-4.7 GPA as a sophomore... Any ideas? Thanks.

2. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Webb is the best. It is on Long Island, NY. Tuition is free.

3. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Two other tuition free programs (that do guarantee a job) are the USNA and the USCGA.

4. Kosmic Sheep

Kosmic Sheep Junior Member

Is Webb really free tuition? I take it it's very selective then no?

5. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

6. Robert Barra

Robert Barra Robert Barra

Webb is tuition free (but room and board is about 7 grand a year) and all colleges are "selective". It is difficult to get into Webb, but if you really want to enter into the field of NA/ME, the admissions system will recognize your ambitions (interview).

7. mickmajor

mickmajor New Member

What about the macnaughton program? It is avaliable as a distance learning package- total cost is about $2500 for tuition 20 lessons at $195 each- totalling about 200 hrs work over three years. By the end of the course you have a portfolio of designs with whih to approach a prospective empoloyer. Macnaughton give more emphasis to actual drafting skills which in my opinion makes it more useful than many other theory based courses. Opinions would be appreciated as I am about to start this course myself!!! :)
    http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/school.htm

8. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

This forum has plenty of discussion on the non-university options, including comments from prospective employers.

9. John Martino

John Martino Guest

United States Naval Academy. Really free, but requires (last I checked) 7 years naval service.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.