design schools

Discussion in 'Education' started by hills, Feb 26, 2007.

1. hills

hills New Member

hi everyone! i am currently doing my boatbuilding apprenticeship in Australia and would like to complete a yacht design course by correspondence at the same time... i was hoping someone couldadvise me on the schools avaliable and which would be best, currently i am considering westlawn. also i would like any qualifacations to be recognised in
    Australia. any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

I don't know if Westlawn is recognized in Australia but I can say that , as graduated of this school, I have learned to design boats.

I love it....

3. joz

joz Senior Member

If Westlawn was recognised in Australia then the Federal Government work for skills program would pay the first $3000.00 towards gaining the diploma in yacht design, considering that engineering (all facets of engineering) is the most skill shortage area in Australia and the Government is putting more encouragement in this particluar area which they are willing to pay.

I would wounder if Westlawn would consider such a scheme (Registered Training Provider) to be added to their programs to which they run already which would benefits all Australian Students.

4. hills

hills New Member

thanks heeps guys... ill be sure to check it out!

5. joz

joz Senior Member

Hills

Let us know if the Government does pays for the course please if you are considering it.

6. hills

hills New Member

hey joz, i checked that web site out and i think they may consiter it either if you havent completed yr 12 or youre over 25.. i dont fit in either category so i didnt look too far into it!

7. joz

joz Senior Member

Hills

I didn't know that you are not over 25 :eek: sorry about that. I will have to look into then myself.

8. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Hmmm... wonder if they'll give me back pay!!

Hills - Westlawn probably isn't as widely recognised in Oz as it is in the US. Most of the larger firms - Incat, Riviera etc - would probably prefer to see you with a university degree.
    Having said that, it depends on what sort of design you want to get into... smaller, private design firms will probably be accomodating

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.