Help! What is this?!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tikitack, Jan 14, 2013.

1. tikitack

tikitack Noob

Help! What is this?! ADDED PICS!

Hi everyone! Very noob here in every way with respects to sailing. I was given this mangled, beat-up sailboat and I instantly felt sorry for the poor thing and fell in love.... I'm hoping to restore it over the winter and I can't find anything on it to identify it. The metal sticker on the front is barely legible for series and model#. It does say Prince Yachts Inc., Sherbrooke, Quebec. I tried looking them up but no good. The only other info I have is that the sail has 404 stiched into it and the bottom of the sail has a logo from the Stella Sailboat Fittings on it.

I have some pics which I'll try and load.

I'm having trouble uploading the pic but will keep trying. In the meantime, a little more info, but not much, the hull is white and the deck is yellow. The mast is one piece and the boat is a sloop. It's 13'3"approx in length. The centerboard is wood and the rudder is white plastic with a wood tiller. The boat is fiberglass.

Any help in identifying my mystery sailboat would be immensely appreciated!

2. tikitack

tikitack Noob

pics

Uploaded some pics

Attached Files:

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Looks like an Albacore.

4. tikitack

tikitack Noob

Thanks Tom! I perused a pile of Google images of Albacores... The inside centre is different and the inside is enclosed.... Unless it's a model that I missed.

5. johneck

johneck Senior Member

The stern doesn't look quite right for an Albacore. The Albacore has a very distinctive bow, so a picture of that area (hull, not deck) would help.

6. johneck

johneck Senior Member

LOA would help as well.

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I think it's a Lanaverre Kid. French built.

8. tikitack

tikitack Noob

I'll take more pics today and try and post them tonight but I think KID might be it. Thanks philSweet! Problem now is, not too much out there that I can find on this puppy. Not even a decent pic.

1 person likes this.
  9. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Hmmmm, good points.

10. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

It is a Code 40 built by CL Boat Works of Fort Erie, Ontario. It is a two man trapeze boat, kind of like a 420. There are a few around. I'm absolutely certain. Built to address the CYA Bronze crowd in sailing schools. CL Boat Works built CL-14s as school boats and sold a fair amount. CL-16s are Wayfarer-clones that actually race in Wayfarer fleets.

--
    CutOnce

11. tikitack

tikitack Noob

Hmmm... I tried looking up some photo's of the Code40 but they seem just as obscure to find a good picture of it. But from the ones that I saw they seem to not have that extra deck at the rear of the boat. Unless, again, it's some older model that I have that they just don't have many pics of.

I still believe it's the Lanaverre Kid... I've only found one photo that looks pretty much like the one I have though. But, I'm 95% sure it's this one.

I couldn't get the extra pics of my boat to download from my phone so I'll try again tonight.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get some info on the Kid for rigging and such? The Lanaverre company apparently was sold to another French company that has since been out of business since 1992. :(

12. tikitack

tikitack Noob

By the way, thanks so much to everyone for helping! I so very much appreciate it!!

13. tikitack

tikitack Noob

More pics..

LOA is 13'3"

Attached Files:

14. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Whatever it is, it looks like a fun little performance boat that can give you a workout in a breeze. Nevermind the ancestry, just give it love.

15. tikitack

tikitack Noob

That is so awesome a post and I can't agree with you more as that's what I intend to do! I just wanted a l'il info on it so I can figure out the rigging. I'm very new to all this but the more I look at everything it seems like it's pretty standard overall.. Have a long way to go with some repairs before I have to worry about the rigging.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.