Design of Towing Tank

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by henry714, Jun 6, 2008.

1. henry714

henry714 New Member

Hi,

I have to design a towing tank of about 200meters in length and have to design all the equipment and facilties accordingly. Can anybody help me or guide me in how to carry out the design procedures and what all steps need to be done.:confused:

2. Barry Deakin

Barry Deakin Consultant

Dear Henry,

This is our business. We are an organisation that conducts tests in a large number of towing tanks, designs and builds towing and measuring equipment for tanks, and advises on towing tank design.

See our web site www.wumtia.com

We would of course be plased to help with the project, in a professional capacity. The problems are not simple, and there are many issues to consider, depending on the testing priorities and budget.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss it with us.

Barry Deakin
    Wolfson Unit MTIA
    University of Southampton

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Cool website, nice interesting projects.

viking longship
    [​IMG]

Just thinking of a 600 foot long lap pool makes me feel exhausted.:p

http://www.wumtia.soton.ac.uk/facilities.html

4. jsaldarriaga

jsaldarriaga New Member

Dear Barry

I am doing now, a thesis to design a towing tank here in Brazil - Sao Paulo, I wanted to know if you might help me in giving me a few guidelines to realize the summary, that is to say, that would have to place in the summary or index of the development of the thesis to consider the whole correct design of the towing tank, so, I need a directions or guide of steps to continuing. For example, accesories, equipments, dimensions, and other parameters, etc.

I will be been grateful by your response.

Thanks.

Miguel

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hi, if you did´nt find what you are looking for using the link above (Southampton University), try it here:

http://www.hsva.de/

Regards
    Richard

6. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

Hi Apex1,

any ideas as to cost of doing half a doz passes, guess tank time 1/2 hr? Raw data. Was quoted approx. 2000# for other tank in Southampton couple yrs ago, not the wumtia. Thanks,

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Henry741

Your best bet is to chat with Barry. Ive used their facilities before.
    Excellent.

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Hey Barry,

What scale models do you need to do tank testing please.

9. yachty4000

yachty4000 Junior Member

Here is quite a usefull site http://ittc.sname.org if you haven't already found it.

There quite a good list of facilities worldwide which you can find out about all the key dimensions etc. bear in mind however understanding has improved a lot since most of these facilities were built some are wider and/or deeper than they need to be. I would talk to Barry
    http://ittc.sname.org/Catalogue of facilities/index.pdf

10. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

Hmmmm, for some reason Barry did not make the ittc.sname.org list :confused:

11. Barry Deakin

Barry Deakin Consultant

So many questions...

Hello again,

There are lots of questions flying around here today, and perhaps I can help a little.

Of course it is best to talk with us directly if you have a serious potential requirement for testing. It is not possible to quote for some runs, or define a model scale, without more information on the project and its requirements, but I can give some more general information.

We do not operate our own towing tank, and the University has only a very small tank, ok for teaching but not for commercial work. Instead we have developed a system of installing our own towing and measurement equipment on the towing tank that is most suited to the project and, hopefully, not too distant from us. With regard to the SNAME ITTC list we regularly use those listed under U3 and U6. Indeed we are testing in the large tank at Haslar all this week. It might sound inefficient, but our equipment is designed for portability and we expect to be testing by 10:30 in the morning on our first day in a facility. Because we hire facilities by the day we tend to be more efficient than many who operate their own tanks.

This mode of working has given us a wealth of insight into many tanks, their advantages and difficulties, and we are not forced to use an unsuitable tank. We design and supply towing and measurement equipment to many tanks around the world so, although we are not listed in the ITTC tank list, we are a well respected organisation.

Our models range from 1.5 to 7 metres long, depending on the tank and the project.

Typical test budgets for small craft development are in the range $10000 to $40000. This may seem a lot, but it is cheaper than correcting a problem at full scale on a production boat, a commercial boat with a tight delivery deadline, or indeed a superyacht.

I hope this helps a little but please read the information on our website and get in touch if you think you have some test requirement that we can provide.

12. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

Thanks Barry, any ideas/solutions for the amateur looking to test a one-off racer on a budget? Was being thick, I know you guys are some of the very best.

Granted the bigger the model, the more repeatable the results. What scale could be considered adequate for 12m?

13. Barry Deakin

Barry Deakin Consultant

We normally test sailing yacht models of around 2 - 3 metres in the modest sized tank in Southampton. This is perfectly adequate for comparing and developing hull forms and keel configurations. We test models of 5 - 7 metres in a bigger tank for the projects with big budgets and small margins between competitors, and where refinements of appendage details must be quantified.

14. Concordia

Concordia New Member

Towing Tank

Hi Barry,
    We are from Myanmar.
    Distibutor for Teaching Equipment.
    We need to quote to a University for equipment for their Towing Tank- 4x30m.
    Can you help?

Dr Than Win
    Concordia

15. Concordia

Concordia New Member

Towing Tank

Hi Barry,
    We are importer and distributor of Teaching Equipment in Myanmar.

One of customer is building a Towing Tank 4x30m.
    They need equipment for this-
    1. measuring equipment
    2. software for hydrodynamic analysis
    3. etc, etc

Best Rgds,
    Dr Than Win
    Concordia
    Myanmar

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.