New Project - 16' fiberglass

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jdmsijdm, May 17, 2009.

1. jdmsijdm

jdmsijdm Junior Member

Hey guys, picked up this boat yesterday with trailer, a 16 foot long with 6 ft beam 1988 Seaco skiff. Boat is in pretty good shape, fresh paint, transom was built up by the seller to accept a 20" shaft. Is just begging for an outboard and console. Cant really find any info on the web about this company or the boat, so if anyone knows anything about this particular boat, feel free to chime in.

Anyway, plans for this include but are not limited to installing a remote drive outboard, somewhere within the 25 and 50 hp range, which of course is gonna require the installation of a center console.

One question i have is, since the floor is raised up from the hull, couldnt i just bolt the console down? Or will it need to be glassed in? By the way, i plan on building and designing the console myself. Not really concerned with too many bells and whistles, really only want steering, throttle, and maybe a seat. Anyway, here are some pictures, let me know if any of you have any input or ideas or questions. Sorry about the size of the last two pictures, i had pressed a wrong button on my phone when i was taking these. I hope to keep this thread alive with progress of the buildup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Nice looking boat. You could anchor a console to the raised portion towards the bow. There is an acess hatch so you could bolt it and be able to reach the nuts on the inside. Use large washers or adhesive a piece of 1 x 4 on the inside and then bolt throught that for a more solid backing. You will want a seat..............................................Perhaps a hollow one with lift top for storage and a 2 way back so you could fish while looking aft.

3. jdmsijdm

jdmsijdm Junior Member

dont think i'd want it placed that far forward, more towards the middle was what i was thinking. Did a little looking around, and want something similar to this:
    [​IMG]

and here is the same thing installed, i see this appears to be screwed down to the deck:
    [​IMG]

also, instead of a seat on the front of it, maybe a livewell? Just collecting ideas at this point, starting to get exciting. Want to come up with a solid plan and hopefully begin construction this week while i continue the search for the outboard.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I like the console with the seat in front--allows someone to fish from there and offers more storage. Measure and lay out that console in the boat with a pilot seat. I do not think you will be to much off centerline. If so, adhesive 1x3s to the floor on the inside of the console. Use no screws just weight it down with some bricks to dry then screw the console to those 1x3s. Do not penetrate into your hull bottom with screws........................................................

5. jdmsijdm

jdmsijdm Junior Member

So i decided on a design for the console. Wont be exactly like the one pictured, but thats the basic design im going for. Main difference will be where the front cushion is in front of the console will be a live well instead. Any pointers? Is it imperrative that i use marine grade plywood? Any other info on the process would be appreciated. By the way, picked up a 40hp evinrude today, with all controls and cables which will be integrated into the console. Also decided on a workspace which i will be renting to complete this project. Any help here will be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mudman

mudman Junior Member

Since the floor is raised, you can screw the console directly to the floor. Drill a pilot hole. Use silicone around all screws and be generous. Lots of caulk around the bottom of the console where it meets the floor, and when its screwed down, run a bead around the the entire console. If water gets through the screw hole into the floor, it will rot out the floor over time. It is done on most factory boats though. Some guys do use Adhesive to hold theirs down.

Use short screws as you do not want to screw through the hull, but you should not have a problem with 1" 316 stainless screws from the looks of it. Take measurements though to make sure that you do not penetrate the hull.

7. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

Why not just use epoxy glue and omit the screws? Epoxy tends to stick to almost everything, but if it doesn't then you still have the screw option.

Erik

8. jdmsijdm

jdmsijdm Junior Member

was towing the boat to its new home and one of the bearing packs inside the right side hub decided to take a ****. Smoke was spewing out into the road so i pulled over and found out that the hubs do in fact need to be replaced after being told by seller they would not need to be replaced. Tire rubbing up against leaf spring was the cause of the smoke. Oh well. At least ill have brand new hub assemblys before i put this thing in the water.

The aftermath:

Wheel was riding on the axle at 55mph without the benefit of a hub to keep it there:
    [​IMG]

Bearing pack done for, coming out of the hub:
    [​IMG]

9. jdmsijdm

jdmsijdm Junior Member

Epoxy of some sort seems to be what ill be leaning towards. Gonna come up with a preliminary design and mock up out of cardboard tomorrow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.