Design Needed - Modern Day Schooner

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by KH-Sails, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

2. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

I made a pitch to some top Sony executives once for an advanced software concept. My partner was insisting to these executives that time was of the essence, that this opportunity needed to be taken right away and development to product performed at breakneck pace.

The Sony executives said, "Then this is an opportunity we must decline. Any opportunity that is valid only for a very short period of time simply does not provide the opportunity for return on investment, or for a continuing stream of revenue. Such "immediate opportunities" provide no option to learn, to respond to customers, to make a better product. It becomes simply a game of chance, a gamble for one big windfall, and not an investment."

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks David,

my words!
    Why would one establish a business on ONE yards abilities? I do not even build my own yacht at my own yard when I find a better one!

4. Tanton

Tanton Senior Member

I actually use forward going spreaders. Especially on some Tour boats with non overlaping sails. It allows you on a run, with limited amount of sail area, to go deeper. The mainsail being not being plastered against the spreaders. Also, the rig configuration gives you permanent tight shrouds on either tack. Of course the amount of tunning is practically eliminated. This is not for racing.

Attached Files:

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Bizarre, but can have some logic.
    I learn something everyday, thanks
    Cheers
    Daniel

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Probably the most effective tour boat for cost running and number of passengers and also different than the other tour boat, will be the Viking ship with the sole square sail and a good Catterpilar for windward habitity.
    The rigging is small and simple and the hull efficient enough to sail well.
    As for diversity, no one as one on the harbor.
    Cheers
    Daniel

7. Tanton

Tanton Senior Member

One cannot stop thinking.
    I swept back the spreaders, the conventional way.

Attached Files:

8. KH-Sails

KH-Sails Junior Member

Thanks for the leads guys.

I knew there had to be something out there and as usual, you came through.

I am not sure why some are concerned about the yard and construction of the boat. I was simply looking for canned or semi-canned plans.

I have built enough boats over the years an know what works for me and what doesn't. I have a relationship with the owner of this yard and we have done work in the past.

Is his crew doing all of it? No. Several parts will obviously be subbed out. But having more than one yard involved makes no sense whatsoever.

The boat will be built and assembled in one place. Labor is reasonable, quality is exceptional and it will be finished relatively close to schedule.

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Im ok with that
    as long as your building Teds Tree of Life
    and post pictures of the process :p

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

That was the reason, ok. Not a good reason, but anyway one can at least understand it.

Who (except you) said such nonsense?
    The question was why you are so stubbornly focused on ONE SPECIAL yard? (the one you mention above)
    Not two or fifteen, just why that one only.

And I doubt you built enough boats to know what works (for you or others), your preliminary decisions on material and builder do´nt show the sign of a mature businessplan!

But good look anyway
    and merry Christmas of course.

Richard

11. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Scarano boatbuilders in Albany,NY may have a suitable design,they specialize in designing and building modern schooners for daycharter,typically cold molded wood but im sure thats not carved in stone.Worth googling.
    Steve.

12. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.