Design Needed - Modern Day Schooner

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by KH-Sails, Dec 16, 2009.

1. KH-Sails

KH-Sails Junior Member

I am seeking a new or existing design for a modern day schooner. The boat would be built on the U.S. west coast and used for protected water and coastal sailing. Must meet the minimum requirements for USCG Certification as it's intended purpose would be tourist daysails, dinner cruises and weekend charters.

The yard in which it will be built can begin the project as early as February 2010.

Some of the design requirements:

Length: 70' maximum

Displacement: Medium

Construction: Fiberglass

Rig/Sail Plan: Must be easily handled by small crew. Simple but with visual appeal. Perhaps 2 masts with headsail(s).

Deck: Must be relative open to accommodate passengers. Either flush or with dog house(s).

Obviously, there is much more involved, but I need to have something relatively quick. The opening with the builder just came available due to a cancellation. If I cannot take advantage of it, I will have to wait about a year to start.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hmm,

I wonder why you would start a business relying on the abilities of one Yard??
    Is there any sense?
    And why the material restriction?
    You have choosen the worst possible, for a one off!

Regards
    Richard

3. KH-Sails

KH-Sails Junior Member

The abilities of one yard?

Haven't seen too many boats of any size built in multiple locations.

They only material restrictions are steel, aluminum, ferro or 100% wood.

Not really interested in discussing the viability of the project.

Am interested in obtaining design ideas, existing plans or someone who is interested in working on the project.

Details such as budget, materials, etc. would be a discussion for the NA, builder and myself.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'd agree in that 'glass wouldn't be my first choice for a vessel that size, though it's certainly possible.

A custom design is out of the question, unless there are some really hungry NA's that will to grind their nose off, for the next 6 weeks (still imposable if you ask me, without a large staff).

This leaves you with a stock design as the only real option, considering the time frame. Frankly there aren't a lot of stock plans for 70' commercial use schooners circulating around, though there are a few.

In your area there are several well respected NA's that may have what you need, have you contacted them?

You are correct to conclude (my assumsion) that a project manager is a good idea at this point. A person familiar with the designer, the yard and can work as a liaison between you and the various vendors and contractors is a common a fruitful position, in a project with the scope of this. Ideally this person would also be local and have good knowledge of the various firms involved with the build.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well,

maybe I was´nt clear enough.
    I have no intention of talking the viability of your project, nor your budget or materials!
    Waste your money where they take it!

But I have never heard about a project under time pressure that was bound to ONE SPECIFIC YARD, as you do!
    And to your first comment, you´ll see more large yachts being built at different locations than at one place only! Subcontracting and diversification are the keywords. It will be the same with your boat if professionally done.
    But that was not my point! I just do´nt understand why you are "merried" with one yard, and not free to choose.

Your choice of material, and huffy comment, makes clear you do´nt need experts advice, so let me stay out of here.

Good luck with your project.

Richard

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Dave Gerr has one that I believe has been built, I think in foam cored glass....

http://www.gerrmarine.com/commercial.html

Sapphire

72-foot Charter schooner, Coast Guard certified for 49 passengers ocean, yet drawing just 4 feet 2 inches

Length Extreme 81 ft. - 8 in. (24.88 m)
    LOA: 71 ft. - 7 in. (21.82 m)
    LOD: 64 ft. - 0 in. (19.51 m)
    DWL: 54 ft. - 5 in. (16.58 m)
    Beam: 17 ft. - 8 in. (5.38 m)
    Draft: (CB up) 4 ft. - 2 in. (1.27 m)
    Draft: (CB down) 12 ft. - 8 in. (3.85 m)
    Displacement: 39 tons
    Water Tanks: 500 gal. (1892 l)
    Sail Area: 2,094 sq. ft. (194 sq.m)
    Area 100%: 315 sq. ft. (96 sq.m)
    Bridge Clearance: 64 ft. - 0 in. (19.5 m)
    Ballast: 18 tons
    SA/Disp: 17
    Ballast/Displacement: 46%
    Disp/WL: 237
    WL/Beam: 3.45
    Gross Reg. Tons: 23.5 tons
    Diesel Tanks: 200 gal. (757 l)

7. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Perhaps I misunderstand but you ask a NA to do the plans in one month.
    Yes schooner have two masts
    Will be sub chapter T
    Make your boat in a hurry, and you will be broke faster than you think.
    Or you are very wealthy.
    A piece of advise: find a yard who can start in 2011 :)
    Cheers
    Daniel

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'd be inclined to mention Ted Brewers "Sophia Christina" design
    or the "Tree Of Life" design
    both are coast guard approved and plans are available ready to build
    a few thousand for the Sophia and a another few on top of that for the Tree

would be well worth looking into before you make a final decision

cheers
    B

10. PAR

[​IMG]

Boston has been drooling over this since he discovered her. She's a fine vessel, unfortunately not in the material KH-sails desires, though I'm sure scantlings could be worked up, but I'm fairly sure not in the time frame currently presented.

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Yerp, thats my baby, but its just not in the budget. Having been a general contractor for way to long I just get pissed off when some fool begins something they cant finish. Irks me to no end actually. My own plans will have to be more modest.

Its the way of things and Im ok with it, sorta

cheers
    B

12. PAR

Hay Boston, I know a guy St. Pete with a 52' ferro cement hull, free to a good home. He's trying to sell the house and the boat has to go before the sale. Bring a crane and a healthy flatbed. Clipper bow, a hint of tumblehome at the stern, a nice, wine glass, curved transom and built in lifting eyes to hoist it over the house. It'll probably need a few hundred ton crane to do the snatch and grab, but it's free. Hey, a 1,000 bucks for the crane and you best buddies flatbed and your good to go.

13. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

The Tree also requires a crew and thats also not in the cards. So its time to think more realistically. Something within not only the budget to build but the budget to operate is kinda a must. I have no intention to end up like that Raw Faith guy up by Rockport way. Building is half the fun as I intend to leave a legacy if I can, something all those long days in my granddaddy's boat house would be proud of if I can. I appreciate the suggest and will entertain all if for only a fleeting instant, my build will be something I can opperate with a minimal of crew with a minimal of automation ( if thats not a paradox enough ). I have something on the drawing boards that Im working on and once I get it far enough along Ill present it for abuse or correction as the case may be, but Ive had several people look at the preliminaries and Ive nary a negative word so far although Im sure that will change fast once it hits the open forum. Oh well I suppose trial by fire is best anyway.

Thanks for the suggest though Par, its not like Im not willing to entertain ideas, its just that Fero is just not my style

15. Tanton

Tanton Senior Member

Schooner.

Modern/Classic.65' for 49 Passengers.
    Displacement is kept relatively light for cost reason, besides speed.
    Deck arrangemnt is flexible.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.