Sail Boat Plans 34 to 40 feet Round bilge

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by IanH, Mar 21, 2019.

1. IanH

IanH Junior Member

Hi. Everyone.

I am looking for plans for a self build cruising yacht.
    Around 34 to 40 feet
    Round bilge so cold molded, strip plank or solid grp

I’ve looked at Van De Stadt and Bruce Roberts but many of the designs seem to have been around for a long time and not to be rude but do look a bit dated.

Any other vendors I should be looking at.

Thanks.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

One of them could be Dudley Dix . . . :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  3. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

My two cents as another guy who'd love to build too.

Classic proportions (which just make for pretty boats) could be mixed with "modern styling" if desired. You don't have to finish the superficial detailing of house and interior to specs so much as the framing and sail plan. Get a design with good bones, the performance, ease of handling and comfort you desire ... and then worry about the makeup on her face. The NA may be very helpful on this directly, they may even be waiting for someone just like you: the answer will always be "no" if you never ask.

And don't forget to post pictures of your build!

Will Gilmore likes this.
  4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A boat of that sort, if self built, may very well take ten years or more. Are you aware of that grim reality. More large projects like that are abandoned somewhere down the line than those that are actually completed.

Not to be a naysayer but you need to know what you are getting into before you begin. Truth of the matter is that you will not save money. You can buy a used 34 to 40 footer for less that it will cost to build, never mind the long term sweat, fatigue, frustration, and divorce court on your part.

5. IanH

IanH Junior Member

Hi. Folks

Thanks for the reply’s I’ll check out Dudley Dix. Going direct to a NA may be an option. I know it’s a big project but that’s ok I’ve fitted out two bare hulls built a car a house and am currently building an aircraft before going back to construction of an extension to the house. I’m always planning a couple of projects ahead hoping I’ve got a boat left in me

I’ve looked at a couple of storm damaged boats mainly due to cost as that is a big factor but they can be a can of worms. I’ve not ruled out buying an older boat and re fitting it. But I love building stuff

6. Angélique

Best establish first a budget in available building time and money, and see if the boat build plans fit in.

And best also write a SOR (Statement of Requirements) which helps to make a choice from the available plans.

See also Tad Roberts for plans sail 30' and over (forum member Tad)

Dudley is on the forum too, but is currently not active here.

7. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Hi Ian,

Don't forget you can also use metal. Once you get up to that 36-40' point steel becomes an attractive material (depends on displacement). With numerical cutting these days it's a good option for one off builds.

Cheers,
    Mark

Will Gilmore likes this.
  8. Angélique

Which displacement for an about 36' sailboat is the turning point that steel becomes viable as a building material ?

9. M&M Ovenden

Hi Angelique,

Real rough, I would say anything that can use 10 gauge plate. Once you get to sizes using 3/16" things look even better. We use 1/4" plate on the hull bottom and keel sides, 3/16" for most of the hull and deck, 10 gauge for bulwarks and cabin tops.

Cheers,
    Mark

Angélique likes this.
  10. Angélique

Thanks for the reply Mark,

I'm afraid that further asking about this here would derail the original subject of this thread, so I've started a split off thread about it.

Everyone's input about this matter is welcome on the new thread: Conversion of a plywood boat design to a steel build ?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  11. IanH

IanH Junior Member

Hi
    Still in the planning stage. It’s looking like I will go for a one off design. What is the usual arrangement with NA regarding the ownership of the design. I will do lots of drawings and lay out plans then give them to the NA to complete the design and provide construction plans and full size templates. Thinking I could then recover the costs by selling plans.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Selling plans is a losing proposition; particularly if it has your name on it. Reputable, well known designers, can charge a fair amount. However, look at the prices of online plans for sale. The fees from the NA/Engineer will take many sold plans to recover. On top of that, you will have to provide technical support, maintain a website, register a business (pay taxes, etc.) and also have a bond or insurance. I you go the sensible route of hiring a NA, write an SOR and send photos or links of boats that look similar to what you want. Designing a boat when you haven't ever built one is a fool's errand. The design needs to take into consideration the building techniques, materials and assembly/construction sequence.

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I can't disagree more with that. Almost none of the designers, small, medium or large ships, is a boat builder. Yes, it is true, of course, that you must know the construction techniques but that can be known, enough for the design, without being a boat builder or having never built a boat even as an amateur. What should be taken into account, when designing something, is the knowledge and the means, both mechanical and human, that the builder has at his disposal.
    These days there are even people who, having built, perhaps, a small ship, offer themselves to us, in the naval market and in specialized forums, as "designers".

14. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

There are two cases:
    1. The design remains the property of the NA and you buy a individual building license.
    2. You buy all of the designs rights, and it becomes your sole property.

Your drawings and plans are your property but the finished design is the property of the NA since your drawings and plans can not be used to build a boat. In order to have it your way, you must pay the designer for the exclusive use of his work. If you pay enough you can even buy the naming rights, so it says "designed by IanH".
    Buying all of the designs rights is usually more expensive than a building license for one boat.

15. M&M Ovenden

Hi IanH,

Are you sure you can't find existing plans that will meet your requirements ? If there is something close you might be best working with the NA for a few minor modifications. Saying that, we couldn't find a similar design to the boat we wanted so Murielle designed and built it....

Cheers,
    Mark

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.