Design law

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Harbourwoodwork, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

The ian Oughtred, John Wellsford etc. sail & oar types are becoming popular in some circles. They are quite $eductive.

2. Harbourwoodwork

Harbourwoodwork Junior Member

3. Harbourwoodwork

I hope your right, some quarters are suggesting that
    Cheers Milehog

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Do they have a company in the Uk that produces elegant CNC plywood kits for home builders. ?

Who are these folks ?

http://jordanboats.co.uk/JB/

5. Harbourwoodwork

you know as much as me if youv'e been on their site I have not had personal dealings with them but they always look like a good starting point

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Harbour; I am sure that you are familiar with the tired old joke about this subject....."You can make a small fortune building boats only if you start with a large fortune".

Marketing is the biggest hurdle for most craftsmen. Concentrated market research is more important, at this juncture, than finding good designs and plansets.

Your screen name implies that you are a wooden boat person. Wood is the most appropriate material for a small boat, but the general public does not readily accept that claim. They tend to believe that fiberglass is preferable. That may even be true for some circumstances. The necessity for outdoor storage for example.

If you intend to sell only to the traditional or classic boat enthusiast, then wood is right. That is a small market however. Classic wooden boats will surely bring a higher price than a similar FRP boat. To find the sophisticated and motivated buyer is the most daunting part of the process.

In any case, I join the others in wishing you much success.

7. Harbourwoodwork

Cheer's Messabout very sober and wise words,but well accepted.
    Dreamers need a lot of wake up call's. Its given me a thought ,my partne'rs a market reasearcher I'll see if she'll do me a freeby.

8. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

The law regarding design usage is one thing,complying with the requirements of the Recreational Craft Directive is another.The RCD applies to all boats sold in the EU other than those built specifically for racing or replicas of historic craft.Its not insurmountable,but it needs to be treated with due respect.

9. Harbourwoodwork

More great info this is a really friendly and useful site CHEERS

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I went through all the testing, manual writing, etc. for 12 passenger canoes we were building in Devon. You can self certify for CE standards fairly easily. All the forms can be downloaded and the tests procedures are self-explanatory.

11. Harbourwoodwork

thanks, soon all I'll need is a big pile of wood

12. Spartan

Spartan Junior Member

Off topic....

I'm stealing this and you can't stop me! LOL!

My wife wants to start a clothing store. She is doing this as a hobby and that line is soooo appropriate.

13. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

First you need a plan which includes:
    What the boats are
    Who will buy the boats
    How they will find out about the boats
    Why they will buy the boats
    What all the direct costs will be
    What the indirect costs will be, and then add considerably more
    How much time you will spend building the boats
    How much time you will spend on other aspects of the business, and then add considerably more
    What is a realistic date for finishing the first boat, and then subsequent boats
    How much money will be needed when, including what it takes for you pay your bills
    Where money will come from until you start selling boats and being paid for them​

I've been a long time observer of small wooden boat builders in the US, and I'm only aware of one who appears to have more or less made a living at it without another business or support from a spouse/partner/family, independent income, museum etc. Perhaps Britain is different.

14. Harbourwoodwork

Tank's D C I think youv'e pretty well got that one nailed there,I know to do it right I have to answer all those questiones,I'll not be quitting my day job just yet, I think it will be more of a slow transision hopefully cherry picking the best job's and keep all the doors open and no its just the same here in the UK with less population than the US ,Cheer's

15. Petros

Petros Senior Member

DC,

You forgot one, what is your compatition selling or other alternatives to your product? If there are good alternatives for less money, you many not sell much. You have to make something that has a demand, with little or no compatition/alternatives if you expect to sell any.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.