Program for flat bottom boat??

Discussion in 'Software' started by chris3298, Dec 16, 2011.

1. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

I've never used a program to help me design a boat but I've been wanting to build an aluminum flat boat for a long time. What programs in the sticky above would be good for me to play with. It would be nice to get these ideas out of my head and then post some pictures of it here and go from there in trying to see what is better.

I've got a apple mac book pro so now sure what program is better for it.

Thanks
    Chris

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are lots of programs to use, but the programs will not tell you, if the hull shapes you've employed in the design, are well suited to your needs or even if it'll float, with the decks facing up. How much do you know about hydrodynamics and yacht design in general?

3. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

Absolutely nothing, :( I'm just wanting to build a 14-15ft aluminum flat bottom boat for speed and having fun. I just thought it would be easier if I could have some kinda program and draw it out and post on here and get some opinions from people who really know about boats.

Chris

4. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

Heck it maybe easier for me to draw it out and and copy it and post it and ask

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It would be much better if you just purchased a set of plans for what you want. The "centers" will be all where they need to be and the hydrodynamic details sorted, without the need for an engineering degree. Simply put, small 14-15' aluminum speed boats are just as difficult to design as thirty footers and you need to know and understand the same stuff for each.

What type of boat do you want. A flats boat can mean different things to folks, so refine your requirements.

Check out the offerings over at Glen-L.com, such as :

[​IMG]

which is a slightly longer then 15' and a garvey or:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Designing an aluminum boat isn't as easy as you might think, so the best advise anyone can offer is to buy a set of plans.

6. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

I can't find a set of plan for what I want, well there is one guy near me that has plans for a wooden flat bottom boat as some other people may call it a Jon boat.

This picture here is something I'd like to build

Attached Files:

7. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

Better view

Attached Files:

8. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

If that is what you want, you had better buy a set of proven plans. Either that or have your insurance well paid up. Handling of that boat will not be for the timid and unless well designed could be a real safety trap. Can't see what the HP is on that motor but it looks big enough to give a novice lots of trouble on such a small flat bottom boat.

9. chris3298

chris3298 Junior Member

I think the boat is about 14-15ft in length, motor is a Mercury 40 which probably been hoped up to about 60 or more. Friend has a merc 40 2 stroke that just looks huge like that one, i wish mercury still made that motor in a 2 stroke that is a bada** motor.

The boat I got now is a 15 ft with a 50 tohatsu, and I've been looking for a 75 short shaft to put on it for play till I can decide to build my own or pay someone to build it. I'd prefer to build it, I may try and find someone close to me and take a bunch of measurements and go from there.

There's guys down here in Louisiana that put 90hp yamaha's on 14 ft boats so for what I want to do isn't that insane compared to them.

Plus down here we don't have the screwed up laws like a lot of states have with the horse power ratings and all, well we dod but not like some states. I've heard a story guy had a 150 and wanted a 175 on the boat and the technician says that kinda a big motor for that boat and the owner set yep. Tech guy said no problem we can do it. Now you start getting really stupid in the rivers yeah you could maybe get a ticket, i don't go looking for trouble I don't go fast on rivers when there a ton of people out there skiing because thats a accident waiting to happen.

There's boat builders down here which I know these guys don't use all that computer programs and all, they just been building boats for years and know what works and what doesn't

10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.