Speed

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by speedfreak, Sep 6, 2009.

1. speedfreak

speedfreak New Member

Hello all, new to the site. I am from eastern Canada and want to break the sailing speed record. I have sponsorship in place to build and challenge the sailing speed record and am looking for designers to get on board. A bit about me- I am a pilot, sailor, and film maker. I have experienced boat builders lined up, the capital to get it done, and a production company to shoot a documentary on the whole project. Anyone that gets on board will get full credit plus subsidiaries as they come in from the documentary. This will be a fully funded project as it develops. If you are interested in getting involved send me an email at gary@zedtechmedia.com

Cheers

2. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

3. speedfreak

speedfreak New Member

4. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

always thought that the monofoil
    http://www.monofoil.com/boat/index.php was one of the more interesting designs out there, but a complex one which always raises issues of robustness to me. and they've been quiet for quite a while...

5. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

----------------------------------
    Have you decided on the type of approach-do you have a preliminary design?
    Be careful about what you say is faster than Hydroptere-51.38 knots in a 25 knot wind is mighty impressive. I would think the right kind of foiler would be a candidate......
    If you haven't already you should contact Steve Clark, a member here and Dr. Sam Bradfield(if interested e-mail him from this website: http://sites.google.com/site/hydrosail/HydroSail-Home ). You might try contacting Greg Ketterman from this site-he is a member here as well or e-mail me and I'll forward your contact info to him.
    I'd be interested in helping to develop an approach...

7. Guest625101138

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Sailing Speed

Just for the heck of it,Rick, what do you think the right approach is?

10. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Well, Speed, if it truly is fully funded, then the guy to talk to is Jon Howes of the Tomahawk and Monofoil projects. Dude designs, knows boats, is a sought after aerodynamicist and is looking for funding for a project that could be bump started at any time, should the proper cash show-up.

http://www.monofoil.com/
    http://www.tomahawkfoils.com/

Why not ring him up and have a chat? Should be a fun conversation. Should you end-up as the driver of the machine, I know this really good, award winning, cameraman/director who is always looking for an interesting project. ;-)

Postal Address (Main Office)
    10, Jesus Lane
    Cambridge
    Cambs
    CB5 8BA
    United Kingdom
    Phone, Fax & Email
    Telephone: +44 (0) 845 206 2070
    Fax: +44 (0) 845 206 2071

Individual Email: firstname.surname@monofoil.com
    Office Email: info@monofoil.com

11. Guest625101138

Doug
    When you look at how simple it is with a kite compared with a hull mounted sail you have to consider the path of loosely connected powering is the best. Either work up in undisturbed air or make use of the wind shear above the water.

Anything in the water generating force is going to be cavitating. Not something I have really studied other than trying to avoid it at my speeds of interest. I prefer a more docile world.

I would be looking for the least connection to the water. Keep it as the solid reference plane but with minimum connection - just the bare minimum for a measure of control.

The principle of soaring with wind shear would be a compelling avenue. It is not something I grasp but there are some good explanations around. I have not taken the time to analyse it. Mark Drela and Tom Speer have both studied it and provided reference on the forum. Having two synchronised soaring rigid "kites" might provide an avenue. Use them to generate both lift and thrust in a more or less ballanced arrangement other than a horizontal component in the direction of travel and lift just below the mass of the craft. Concept could be worked up on land. Would not make much difference if on land or water because it is mostly an aircraft.

My latest conception got wet today for the first time:
    http://www.adventuresofgreg.com/HPB/2009/09/ready-for-water.html#comments
    A somewhat ugly duckling with no trimmings at this stage and one or two minor stuff ups but final weight and performance are close to the mark.

Rick W

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I'm a little(very little) familiar with the windshear soaring you mention. I've seen a video of an that RC "glider" that achieved an unbelievable 300mph doing that.

13. Guest625101138

14. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

I'm interested that in the Windjet-Greenbird evolution, the land version moves from two outriggers in a symmetrical arrangement, to a single outrigger in an assymetrical arrangement. However, in the ice version, the evolved design seems to retain the two outrigger symmetrical arrangement. What would be the reason for this?

15. yipster

yipster designer

at those speeds me too thinks the water contact is hardest
    and for power i would check the delta wing and its vortex lift

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.