Expedition Yacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mackid068, Jun 21, 2005.

1. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

What about a miniature (32' or so) expedition yacht, styling wise.

Is it reasonable? I was thinking to keep the styling, comfort and strength of an expedition yacht (displacement or semi-disp) in the form of a semi-displacement or planing (which is better) trawler/expedition yacht styled boat. Also, just 1 head, and sleeeping space for 3-4 is needed (2 adults, 2 adults or 2 children in a second berth). Sleeping space is divided into a full berth for 2 and a set of 2 bunks for 2 persons (1 per boat). Power should be diesel and the hull should be nice and strong fiberglass OR steel. Any ideas?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Interesting concept, Mackid. Would be neat to see it pursued farther.

Semidisp or planing: To me (who typically pilots little open things) I'd much rather deal with the wake of a yacht on full plane than one at semidisp speeds. Semidisp hulls are also a bit of a pain to figure out the hydrodynamics; I see a lot (even production ones) done poorly. But properly done, semidisp can give you better fuel economy than planing for the same size boat. Also, being heavier, semidisp will likely give you a boat that's more stable at rest and can take more weight up top. (Although in my land of buck-a-litre-and-climbing fuel, I vote for full displacement.)

Styling-wise, it would be an interesting endeavour. It would certainly not look like the usual fibreglass jellybeans that fill most marinas. I think it'd be pretty neat, actually. Especially with seaworthiness to match the looks. I'd go steel, seems it would suit the look and mood of the boat better. Sounds like it would be both a good day-tripper and couple's cruiser. And the expedition styling is good for interior space, too.

3. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

"Sounds like it would be both a good day-tripper and couple's cruiser." That's the idea, but I want it to be able to do this in relatively rough seas and/or cold weather with great safety.

4. kc135delta

kc135delta Junior Member

anyone still thinking about this? Did anyone draw up any proposals?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.