Design help please

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jmooredesigns, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Jmooredesigns

Jmooredesigns Junior Member

I would like to build a boat this spring, I cannot find the exact boat I would like but have came close.

I am looking at the older Tabu Plans however this will be a powered vessel. say 10-15hp.

And would like it to be 15ft and have pods on the back on both sides with the motor being placed between the to rear pods.

The reason is I would fill those pods with floatation foam to allow for more cockpit room. Looking to be a 2-3 person boat.

Now I am not sure what kind of sea's I can expect this to handle as the plans show however I believe it ill work perfectly my needs.

How hard would it be to modify the plans I have and where could I get that done? and have full size templates made that I can trace onto the materials.

Remember no sailing parts at all. clearly a planing hull powered by either oars or a outboard.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Glen-L does a very good job of suppling plans as well as kits if so desired. Take a look at:
    www.Boatdesigns.com
    I built a revised version of the Monaco - Awesume

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

If you are thinking about William Jackson's Tabu, why in the world would you want to put a 15hp engine on a sailboat hull? It is just not suitable. Like almost all sailboats Tabu was designed to spend most of its time at displacement speed and the hull is designed to accommodate that. It is also expected to plane in suitable conditions but, also like most sailboats, cannot be expected to be most efficient when planing.

There are many boats designed as powerboats that would be very suitable for almost any purpose. On the other hand, maybe you will invent a new wheel. Not my intention to stifle creative thinking but just to say that existing designs got to where they are through a long process of trial and error. It is much more productive to climb on the shoulders of those who have gone before than to chop their legs off.

The first wheel was square and made four big bumps with each revolution. A resourceful cave dweller thought of an improvement and chopped off one of the corners. Now it only made three big bumps with each revolution.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

----------------
    Tom, did you miss this?

=================
    Mr. Moore check out this thread: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/trimaran-motorboat-stabilized-monohull-29665-2.html

Attached Files:

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Doug,

No, I did not miss that important point. I know that the tri layout is very popular with many for low resistance designs. I was asking if the base was to be the hull of William Jackson's Tabu which was designed in the 1950's as a planing sailboat. Ever since the round the world run by a tri just like the ones you show powered by Yanmar outboards they are on everyone's palate. My point, if I have one, was that the Tabu is not the best hull to base a low drag tri powerboat on. Jackson's Tabu is adequately stable without the amas so, what purpose do they serve.

I have no argument with the configuration but think it is somewhat limited as a general purpose vessel. All such configurations rely on having a high L/B ratio for low total drag.

If Moore is not referring to Jackson's Tabu, then I can delete all my remarks.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

He mentioned the Tabu plans then said "however"... My apologies for any misunderstanding on my part....

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I can hardly think a 10 to 15hp is going to work with a planing hull, in any case not with 2 to 3 people on it.

A displacement hull(s) is going to offer far better economy and speed, so if I'm you Jmooredesigns, this is the thing I'd be looking at.

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Rasorinc,

I still think a small motor is by far the best call on a displacement hull. The only time a planing hull is faster is on flat water. The moment there is a bit of a tjop it becomes unpleasantant and you have to slow down in any case or risk losing your false teeth :D

10. Jmooredesigns

Okay, Sorry for the confusion I think?

The hull will not have those pods on the sie but in the back transom with the motor between them.

is anyone familiar with the Devlin Black Brant 3?

This is what I am looking for but I want it more like the Tabu.

Much like the Older BBSB (Barneget Bay Sneak box) sailers and such.

Only again looking for slightly larger.

This will be used as a open water bay waterfowl boat. And needs to handle some chop as well as get into the shallows. Thats what makes this project tough. And again the reason for the extra length and pods on the back to help with displacement which will create a less needed draft.

Thoughts?

11. Jmooredesigns

Okay, And I'll assume that the displacement hull will also handle rougher seas? correct?
    Remember, we much achieve, low profile, Shallow Draft, and handle a decent chop all in one craft around 15ft long with aprox. 5ft beam.

Here is a few pictures of other boats out there but none so far are the perfect craft that I am looking for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this the closest of all to what I am looking at building only its not long enough and or deep enough for my needs. Close but no cigar. I liked the idea of the nose of the tabu as it looked like it would throw water out and away from the craft much better than these designs in rough conditions.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.