Plans for a fishing fleet

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by wildbill, Feb 17, 2012.

1. wildbill

wildbill Junior Member

staying in the Philippines and am planning a small fishing fleet (twelve 5 mtr, 13 hp, pom boats & one 20 mtr tender) total of 13 ....

we will be chasing tuna around the islands year round using the tender to supply the smaller boats, extend our range, and to ice down fish in order to be able to stay out longer...

the pom boats are native design...trimaran .... basically a canoe with stabilizers ...flat bottom and fast but limited on range.

the tender is where i am needing to make a decision....

i had first thought of building a trimaran with 3 equal hulls... ice, storage, living quarters..... but...

but now i am thinking the weight maybe too much on ends and could cause instability to the structure? ..... maybe a catamaran is the way to go? ....

due to the area in which we fish and because "beaching" is commonplace .... mono hull is not an option .......

i'd appreciate any input.....................wb

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Why is monohull not an option? Beaching an appropriately designed mono is no more of a problem than a multi and maybe less. I suspect that you can have a more burdensome boat, more deck space, larger hold, etc, per dollar if you use the mono layout.

3. wildbill

wildbill Junior Member

thx for the input.... mono hull was my first thought .... but for two reasons i leaning towards a trimaran design.... mono hulls stand out more because there aren't many of them here ... those that i've seen belong to foreigners and in a commercial fishing venture that could lead to some resentment among the locals..... also..... i have a fleet of 12 smaller craft that i am intending to strap 6 per side in a row between the main hull and the outer ones..(this is an idea we came up with yesterday) ...save on fuel, increase our range into open ocean ....if i had my way i'd also rig it for sail but that would double the cost so that may not be an option .......

the reason this is important (to me anyway), my adopted village of Lumbocan sits at the mouth of the Agusan River....this not a place where anybody would plan to go..... they are the victims of 700 + kilometers mining interests upstream which dump pollutants into the river which is fouling the water and their fishing grounds..... in spite of all that i was amazed at how honest these people remained as they don't fish illegally and refuse to allow mining companies into their area.....
    they don't have the means to travel to better areas to fish..... i am not trying change what they do..... just provide a way so they can do it better ..... financing the venture myself over the next 3 years to the tune of about 20k us ...... if i spent the rest of my life just doing this i'd have no complaints .......

i will try to stick as close as i can to local design ..... the outer hulls are a little different as they are more than just stabilizers....i.e. boat racks. ice holds, storage, etc........

my chief concern is that of weight across the support beams to the outer hulls is going to be extreme..... the builder says he know how to compensate but he hasn't ventured into this area before so what if he's wrong?...... not a lot of margin for error here i think ........wb

4. wildbill

wildbill Junior Member

of course if i used the monohull design with stabilizers... and then beefed the supports up to where they could handle 2k lbs per side in order to support the weight of the boats..... widen the beam.....center the ice hold..... that would cut costs......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.