Transom wedges: Taper down, or up?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by nikous, Nov 5, 2008.

1. nikous

nikous Junior Member

Hello
    I had no answers at design forum and I'm trying here…

I’m thinking to fit transom wedges on my 21,5” outboard fishing pilot boat. He needs more positive trim (bow out of the water). How I can fit it on the transom? Wedge with the taper down, or wedge with the taper up?

Thanks

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You fit with the taper up so that the prop is trimmed more out. Thin up, thick down. I have those on my boat as well.

There are different things you can use, I don't know what it's called, but the bass boaters with their 200hp outboards use an adjustable spacer, bolts to the transom, the outboard bolts to the outside of it. You can then adjust the motor height and as far as I know the trim angle as well.

The advantage this have is because the motor is spaced backward from the transom, the steerability of the boat is improved. Mostly for guys with more money than brains :D There is always the next gimic that will set you back a couple of bucks. Never ends.

Keep in mind outboards are heavy, you and your buddy may not just lift it off and back on.

3. nikous

nikous Junior Member

Thanks Fanie
    I wiil do so and I'll test it