Design diameter of Rudder stock

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by conceptia, Apr 23, 2010.

1. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

Guys, I'm in a learning cycle of the rudder and rudder stock design. I used the rule books and various empirical formula to find out the required rudder area, and accordingly rudder torque. I have developed 3 designs for the rudder with NACA series 0010, 0012, and 0015. I need to finalize the series before which I need to calculate the rudder stock diameter. Can anybody tell me an idea how I could go forward.

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

You already know the torque, so look up the strength of shaft material on manufacturer's site. As a practical matter, how large of a diameter can you fit in your foil? Not strong enough? ...then get a different material. Do check out http://www.jefa.com/products/materials.htm How are you making the rudders?

3. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

oh ya, why din my brain think in dat way.. thanks mate....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.