Design database

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Robinfly, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Robinfly

Robinfly Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm creating my design database. Being a very important tool in the process for successful developing of new designs I want to learn more about how to make it in a proper and efficient way. How do you usually do it?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You must get the main characteristics of a sufficiently large sample of ships. The points corresponding to each ship are drawn on Cartesian axes and a polynomial approximation is made (of the type that you consider most appropriate), which gives you the equation of the corresponding curve.
    Obtained that curves for different pairs of values, length vs breadth, ... will allow you, interpolating in them, to obtain the values of the new design.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Welcome to the forum Robinfly.
    That's good to hear....a valuable source of information.

What data do YOU want from such a database, if it were not your own...and that's it.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Well, hydrostatics for each vessel design would be good.

5. Robinfly

Robinfly Junior Member

Well, in long term I'm more interested in how to make it simple and efficinet but yet adaptive for new inputs. How do you have it organised and what software do you use? I guess Excel is the most used but maybe there is already some solid platform for building databases?

6. Robinfly

Robinfly Junior Member

Why not contain more than just hydrostatic data? Depending on available information obviously, but I'm thinking it should be more "broad". What do you think? All for the purpose of a fast and efficient design process.....

7. Robinfly

Robinfly Junior Member

I get that, but I'm more interested in how to make it simple and efficient but yet adaptive for new inputs. How do you have it organised? What software do you use?

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Mathlab was used to make the polynomial approximations. Then everything is taken to a spreadsheet, with macros in VB.

Attached Files:

9. Robinfly

Robinfly Junior Member

Cool! This is really helpful.
    Thanks

10. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I don't use any software. I have my own database of many different types of vessels we have designed over the past 30+ years.

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

So you don't use any software? Amazing. I understand, then, that your database is contained in sheets of paper, or some similar support, since if you had it in MS Word, Excel, ... or entered in some way on a computer, you would already be using some software.
    On the other hand, having a boat relationship of 30 years or more does not seem very interesting.:D Probably others would try to form a database of current, modern vessels.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  12. Robinfly

Robinfly Junior Member

30+ years! wow.... respect. I'm on my 1st project.:)

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Do you remember what you did.... on your first project?
    Do you remember what you had for breakfast this morning...and dinner last night?
    I don't think you would need software to remind you what you ate this morning, because YOU ate it.

Same with designs that YOU do. Once you've done them, rarely ever forgotten. If you feel you can't remember them all over time, or have no database of the info, sure you can create some kind of software for you to do this if that is what helps you. But, the more you do the more you'll remember all of them...as they are all very personal, each and every design that you do.

14. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Well, Robinfly, just in case I modestly recommend that you use an electronic medium to store your data. that will allow you not to have to remember so many details, so many dimensions, so many things ... and, above all, it will allow you to do statistical studies and many more studies and checks, which, if you only use your memory, or another totally obsolete means, you will not be able to do.

Robinfly likes this.

15. Robinfly

Robinfly Junior Member

I remember it, for now! I understand the "play it by the feeling" way but I'm more into building a reliable database to be able to study and compare. I also believe that through time the numbers change as the trends change so it would be good to track those changes to be "up to date".

TANSL likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.