Design consideration of Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by kurtmus, Apr 12, 2013.

1. kurtmus

kurtmus New Member

Hello all, I am new on this forum.

I've been looking for any e-book covering design principles of steel catamarans, but have not found yet.

My project is designing a workboat as catamaran which is engaged to trade in inland waters.

So, if you know any e-book mentioned above, please let me know. Any comments would be deeply welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Welcome to the forum Kurtmus.

The material, steel or ally etc, doesn't really matter, as far as the hull shape goes. What you need to do, is first draw up the GA, with just a basic profile and plan view of the hulls, anything, doesn't really matter. Then work out the weight at full load of your design.

From that, you can then work out what the length-displacement ratio of the hull/design is, and from that, decide what to do. Since the L/D ratio is the critical factor....forget the nuances of hull shape. Just work out what is the weight and then the L/D for the length of hull you are considering.

The actual shape, plays such a minor role.

Then once that's done you can work out, if you have enough installed power to run at the speed in the SOR. As there are plenty of guides, using L/D ratios of hulls from paper such as Molland etc.

The first rule of design. Does the hull float, does it float up right, is it stable and then does it support the weight (full load) at the desired draft? You can't do anything until you've answered these basic questions. Thus, any "basic" shape is fine, for a first hit.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.