multi-parts hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by fabrice, Nov 30, 2009.

1. fabrice

fabrice Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I want to build an outrigger canoe that could be transported in 3 or 4 parts.

The canoe would go on calm lakes but also on choppy atlantic see, from 1 to 5 bf and a maximum of 3m waves.

Do you think it's possible ?

Could 3-4 independant parts, bolted together, act as a plain stiff boat ?
    Could this be strong enough in rough sea ?

Of course, I'd like the parts to be as light as possible, and consider building them in stitch and glue.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

My first boat was capable of being disassembled. It was 2 hulls seperated by .6 meters of space. Beam width was approx. 1.8 meters. The beams that held it together were bolted using wing nuts. I carried the whole thing disassembled on the roof of my car. Stressing forces at beam ends will be the limiting factor. At the scale I was building, it was fine for no more than .25 meter waves.

3. fabrice

fabrice Junior Member

thanks. How did you manage to get an idea of the limitations ?
    Did the boat break on a strong wave ?
    Or was she feeling loose on rough weathers ?

I ran into a rowing skiff built like that (2 parts) : looked like it was designed only for calm waters, and speed race.

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

It can be done but will add weight.

I have thought about various ways but none I really liked. There are examples around like the scull you mentioned. Rowing eights are sometimes transported in two pieces.

What is that limits the length?

I have seen some nice long slender inflatable hulls made for a catamaran. Inflatable with some stiffening tubes can be quite good but not something I would take too far out from shore.

Rick W

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The boat never broke oon the waves as I only used it on rivers. The biggest wave to ever hit it was the wake from passing motorboats. It never showed any strain at the joints and finally succumbed to the natural elements(rot).

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A small boat with capability in rough water is more practical in the form of a monohull. A very capable small boat is the Maine Peapod. A boat of that type will endure severe conditions if the skipper has reasonable skills. It will also move with grace and charm on still water. Propulsion can be by oar or very small outboard.

If you wish to use only a paddle for propulsion then you need a narrow boat. Many iterations of sea kayaks can handle rough water IF the paddler is skilled.

I believe that an outrigger type will be more trouble that it is worth. Also, as mentioned by another respondent, the boat and the numerous parts will be necessarily heavy if it is to endure bad weather.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If I was to build someting like that I would consider a PE foam canoe you sit on / in, and it assembles with alu pipes sticking through the parts.

I have actually considered building something like that a while back. The one I considered was going to be 6 meters long and in one meter parts. Two standard 101mm dia pipes x 6m was going to be the backbone. To get the pipes through the foam you sharpen the end and twist it throug the foam like a deep hole saw. You can afterwards shape the foam then part off on the lengths you want and glass them over.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.