Design Challenge: Trapwing-"on-deck" ballast-12'-22'

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Oct 7, 2009.

1. stubby

stubby Junior Member

maybe no one is actively stopping him but as far as I can see he is getting insults left right and center.

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Have you wondered why?

If you had been following the Doug Lord saga for the past 8+ years on the internet you might understand...

3. stubby

stubby Junior Member

not for the past 8+ years, but I have read through a majority of it and I like his idea and I hope it works.

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

You have not read through a majority of what he has plagued the internet with.

He has been banned from multiple sites already, and most of his posts on this site do not show up if you search on his name.

Let's see how much you like him and his ideas about 2 years from now.

5. stubby

stubby Junior Member

ok if you say so, but I still say this idea is interesting, and I would like to see it take off.

6. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Maybe you can invest in his ideas to help bring them to fruition.

7. stubby

stubby Junior Member

I would if I had a job and money, and was older than I am.

8. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

There are other ways to contribute. Maybe you can do his technical drawings for him, or maybe you have other skills he can use.

Stick with Doug and you can become famous too!

9. stubby

stubby Junior Member

I'v got other things to do, like designing my own boats, and school work. But that doesn't stop me from liking the idea.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

============
    Thanks,stubby! You've got guts......

11. stubby

stubby Junior Member

HAHA yes, but as I see it, there are 2 senarios.
    1.This design works, and we have a nice successful design that will be fun and challenging to sail.
    2.It fails, we have good food for thought for future designs.

Its a win win, either way we get something out of it.

12. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Doug, you've got a lifting foil on the very deep bulb keel .... which is going to be a pain in the *** to launch by the way, (it's not a lightweight Moth) or does the poor boob attempting to control this hyper complex death trap have electronic mechanisms to lift and lower what looks like, a substantially weighted bulb? Back to foil, is that to alleviate the weight of the keel with lift? If so, this is oxymoron-ville with a plus. Or are you copying those kind-of sexy looking but massive bulb keels with wings that those dinosaurs from previous AC races dragged around with them? At least theirs had a purpose to increase draft when heeled. But yours looks like decoration ... because the Trapped Under Wing is not meant to heel like so.
    No doubt, with the ballast and the sliding wing at their asymmetrical limit, there will be decent righting moments developed ... but you're totally BS'ing if you think said boob sitting primly in his seat is not going to screw up and dig that out there heavy contraption underwater .. and it will probably keep going down, whoops!! - and you've designed this TUW partially for physically handicapped people!! It really does look fargo trucking dangerous. A trimaran, a with-a-little-bit-of-help self righting trimaran - expend your efforts in that direction ..... because that would be a breakthrough ... and then you could put your polished brass plaque underneath with your name engraved upon it with real pride.

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

---------------
    I'm amazed to see this kind of rude,unprofessional vitriol from a man who is about to build a trimaran with a pivoting cross/arm cabin structure!
    1) the ballast in the keel is for one purpose only: to assure self-righting in combination with the sealed WING.
    2) the foils on the keel and rudder in the keel version are there to reduce wetted surface helping the boat to get on a plane earlier as well as to improve pitch control-in other words for "foil assist".
    3) this concept has been tested for ten years on several models in a multitude of conditions NO control issues. Boats like the International canoe and Skate use sliding appendages to allow the crew to get further out. The WING on this boat is higher off the water than either of those.
    4) Launching is no problem whatsoever, as you would understand if you had read the thread. The foils are retracted for trailering and launching. A block and tackle or electric system easily lifts the daggerboard with ballast. The trailer/dolly system makes beach launching simple with all sorts of options depending on the limitations of the skipper.
    5) At least one championship disabled sailor and a world renown disabled sailing coach think this boat has tremendous potential!

*hilarious use of english,thanks...

Skate from the Aussie Skate site-Unit 7 with sliding seat(bearfacemedia.com.uk)

Click on images THEN click on "+" sign. If "+" sign doesn't come up click on larger image then on "+" sign:

Attached Files:

14. stubby

stubby Junior Member

you may notice the foil assist has been used with great success before on small boats even round the world boats.

1 person likes this.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------
    Hey, stubby-you're so right and Hugh Welbourn with his DSS has brought "foil assist" to monohull keelboats which is absolutely fantastic. This boat does it in a slightly different way but Wellbourn is the pioneer. Did you see that his 25 just won big?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.