swampscott dory sail plan

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cbs, Jul 26, 2007.

1. cbs

cbs boris

I have built a 17' swampscott dory and would like ideas on a sail plan. Junk sails seem complicated and totally foreign to me. Price is a concern so I'm thinking a used Sunfish mast and sail made to fit my boat.
    I am grateful for any ideas.

boris in la

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The Sunfish sail, a lateen, is a handy rig to stow. So is a boomless bermudan sail, and it has only one single spar. I would say the bermudan, sans boom, would be my personal choice, though the sheeting is quite far aft to keep the rig low. It might even require a short boomkin run aft (though that short spar could simply pass through a crotch in the transom and be quickly rigged in any case, to the side to avoid the rudderhead and below the tiller if possible.
    Any mainsail (besides the Sunfish rig mentioned) is going to be a rare size/shape on the used sail market, so you may have already found you best option in the Sunfish sail/rig. I'm guessing you will want as much as 100 sq ft., since the Swampscot is a more stable dory and I think it could take it, and the Sunfish has 75 sq ft..
    You could replace the aluminum spars with wood ones and increase the height of the mast to accomodate a small jib, even staying the mast with simple shrouds, which would give more area than the sunfish plan if it comes to that.

Alan

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  3. cbs

cbs boris

Swampscott Dory

Dear Alan,

I want to thank you so much for your reply, and apologize for not responding promptly.

Mr Gardner has a spirit rig w/boom for this Modified Dory, this is the only sail plan I am not familiar with. Hence my trepidation. His drawing is a sail of 75sq. feet.
    Just seems to me a Latteen rig is simpler to use? Or as you say, a loose footed Bermudan seems good.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Boris

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If you examine the actual use the boat will be put to, the answer will emerge.
    I, for example, enjoy ocean sailing. I like the constancy of the wind and the open space, and the fact that I can work towards a real destination instead of going around haphazardly. For me, a versatile sail is necessary. I want one or two set of reef points, allowing a large rig to move along in light air.
    I prefer a heavier than average cloth weight, which will stand up to a lot of wind without tearing or becoming distorted. I like shrouds too, rather than depending on a free-standing mast. It isn't as simple, but pelican hooks allow instant release, and the shrouds make a jib possible.
    What will work for you may not be the same thing. If you prefer a boat which allows switching from rowing to sailing while out on the water, my guess is you'll appreciate a very simple rig that stows out of the way when not in use---- short spars, few lines, and no shrouds or jibstay.
    All just common sense.
    I hope this helps you to make a decision.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.