Canal boat plans???

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ted655, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

I'm looking for plans for a C
    canal or Dutch barge in 13-15M range
    Yhanks Ted

2. JEM

JEM Senior Member

3. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Thanks. The accomodations are fine. The air draft is too high as is the water draft. To clear bridges the air draft needs to be less than 7'. water draft should be no more than 2'6".
    Wonder why, with all the thousands of plans out there, that no one is designing canal or Dutch barges for home builders?
    Thanks anyway. Ted:D

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

5. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Thanks. I didn't know Mr. Branson had a site. I knew he designed for SteelKit in Wales.
    What kills me here is 2 things. The rate of exchange and shipping costs. That's why the search fo plans.
    Still... it would be nice to have everything precut, blasted & primered. To be fair, I guess that all has to be figured in.
    Upon reading, they don't make it clear if they do the bending & rolling.
    My mouth is watering, Thanks again!:D

6. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

7. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Very good! I never would have found this one. Google just passed it by.
    As usual, I have champagne tastes & a beer budjet when it comes to buying a welded hull. I will ask about plans on a couple that fit my budhet.

8. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Drunken wife...

Hello...

My wife is British...

I always buy up as many canal boat mags when we 'go over'...

When the two of us sober up I can post some direct links from the classifieds of same...

Respond here or Email me - because tommorow is another day - and I can only remember most things by the hour...

Cheers...

SH.

9. bransonboats

bransonboats Junior Member

Hello,
    Have you thought about buying the DXF cutting files and getting a kit cut locally to you? Lots of accurate plasma profileing companies around. Building notes etc would be supplied and free advice supplied.

Building using highly accurate pre-cut plate much lower cost than traditional methods. Just think how many man hours involved in lofting and hand cutting the hundreds of components that make up a steel shell? Hard graft!

A typical design and DXF cutting file around £2,000, plus of course the cost of your local cutting company.

The job becomes an assembly job, both quick and accurate- also rewarding as you see major progress every day!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.