Design a Trawler Style Motor yacht 14m

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by micspoko, May 31, 2013.

1. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

Attached Files:

2. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Not bad for a first 'go'. A bit 'block' style and could do with a bit more 'art' touch in the styling. Some spring in the sheer and cabin would 'soften' that block appearance. But, everyone has their own tastes so your styling might be fine with many people.
    Also check your wheelhouse windows and vision to make sure you can comply with the ColRegs ("Collision Regulations"): not being able to see vessels in your 'danger zone' is bad.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I'll make some comments because I guess that's what you meant to expose your design on this forum, getting comments, discussing and improving your design. Only with this intention, I aim the following :
    - The portholes are "very sailors" but why put portholes as far from the water line?.
    - The boat is very closed, perhaps because her must navigate in cold areas. In that case the bow wide open area makes little sense. In warm areas should be giving it a good air conditioning system.
    - Eliminating the solid bow bulwark to get a better viewing area for the pilot. Docking with this boat may not be an easy task.
    - The swim platform seems a bit short. The access to it is unclear.
    - The bulbous bow, is decorative, isn´t it?. Beware the anchor, can damage the bulb to release it.
    - Probably needed an anchor windlass, bollards, and other items for mooring.
    - Why do you need the central funnel?. Use wet exhaust.
    - Freeing ports??
    - The bottom of the entry port aft appears below the main deck. Is there, then, a niche on the deck?
    - The ship, in general, gives a sense of being overwhelmed.
    - The boat is very high freeboard and superstructure. You have to carefully calculate stability.
    All this in terms of what we can see of the boat. What can you say about their hydrostatic load conditions, stability, compliance with MARPOL, SOLAS, COLREGS, ….?. Surely you are concerned about these issues, more technical and, perhaps, that's where we will be able to help more. You could expose any of your calculations and with pleasure, we could advise you.
    Regards

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hi Micspoko,

As JSL said, nice but perhaps a little bit too boxy. But please remember that aesthetics is a matter of personal taste, so you can easily disregard our opinions if you like the boat the way it is.

What I would change, if it was my creation:
    1) the part which joins the roof of the wheelhouse and the aft cabin. I would make it simpler, with no vertical transition part.
    2) would introduce a sheer towards the bow. It will make the boat look better when viewed from common viewing angles, besides saving you some weight. Check this post of mine: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/80-feet-monohull-sailboat-concept-45746.html#post603887
    3) would change a bit the radar mast and the way it blends into the exhaust funnel.

So, the proposed modifications are: View attachment 81552

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  5. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

Thanks for your opinion

This is answer for yours questions:

- the portholes is only for decorations and for lighting a cabins, I think it`s look good
    - the person who wanted me to design this ship wanted to swim in cold regions, that's why the bow is closed but a visibility from wheelhouse meet a requirements a class society - Unfortunately, the person withdraws due to insufficient funds to build this ship but he like this design
    - I aware about problem with docking but we did not want that at higher wave got the water on board
    - The bulbous bow is not for decorative but anchor is extended to fore to not damage bulbous bow when will be realised, you can not see on this visualization
    - All item for morning or lights and others are not designed because I don't have for do this
    - Central funnel is only for decorations
    - The hull was designed to do from a steel and whole superstructure from aluminium to lower the center of gravity, my problem in this design is trim on aft in lightweight condition

This is my first calcuation about hydrostatic:

Attached Files:

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I guess you know that the file you have attached is not to hydrostatic values​​.
    The boat has a great initial stability which will lead surely to a rolling period too short. This is very uncomfortable for the passage.
    It is rare that the effect of high forecastle is not reflected in the curve of GZ values​​.
    The maximum value of GZ should occur, but not required, to an angle greater than 30º.
    The problem of trimming the lightship condition will be surely worse with full load unless you put fuel tanks, and other weights, very forward. Moves toward the bow then whole superstructure as forward spaces do not serve for long.
    If you think you have problems with the waves, it would be good to give some sheer to the main deck.
    The bow seems too round for a confortable navigation.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I like the Chunky looks.

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Yes you'r right. It become trendy. Not my taste but taste is very subjective.
    This an exemple I find.

[​IMG]

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

10. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.