a little help with X-BOW ULSTEIN

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Iago Rodriguez, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Iago Rodriguez

Iago Rodriguez Junior Member

hi there, i am a naval architect involved on design and fabrication of Seismic vessels, and i am looking for some X-bow vessels drawings. i have a lot of pictures and 3D views, but nothing like cad drawings or body plans,, so,, COULD SOMEBODY HELP ME TO GET ANY x-bOW DRAWINGS?
    i will be very happy just with a link... some jpg.....etc,

of corse, a auto cad drawing will be very apreciatted.

thanks in advance.

P.D.
    if i get some drawings, i promise i will post pictures and and 3d models of the analisis that i will carry on between normal bulbous ship and X-Bow ship
    :)

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

3. Iago Rodriguez

First of all, thank you very much for your collaboration, it is very apreciated.

i was looking for other kind of forms, something like the picture below

[​IMG]

it is the famous Ulstein design X-bow.

but, right now, with this new idea you bring me, i have more options :D, i will study this AXE shape ships to try to adapt mine.

thank you again TAD

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Ha........apparently I know not the difference between Axe and X.......:D

Best.....

5. Iago Rodriguez

thanks anyway.

but... Nobody heard about this ships before ??

for sure i know there is a lot of people with pictures and drawings, com'n boys, help me a little :(.

thank you

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

7. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

So basically a tumblehome bow? What's the advantage?

8. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

Longer waterline (a bit less Fn=> less resistance for same speed), sharper entry (less bow wave=> less resistance for same speed, less slowing down effect from wave impacts on the bow), slower increase in volume from WL up (much less pitching in heavy sea).
    In You tube there is a video somewhere with X-bow making over 12 knots against ~4m sea, while conventional design do only 9.5.

9. Iago Rodriguez

Perm Stress, you are right ! absolutly.

any idea from where to get some drawings ??

ad hoc, thanks anyway, but dreadnought bow is not what i was looking for, see youtube videos of X-Bow as Perm Stress mentioned and you will see what i mean

thanks for your time, guys, it's very apreciated

10. JRMacGregor

JRMacGregor Junior Member

The people with the lines plans of the X bow are of course Ulstein - and they will set a value on them.

The "famous" video of the X bow ship steaming in parallel with a conventional hull conveniently fails to mention the several megawatts difference in installed power between the two vessels.

When model testing the X bow in waves, how many wave encounters would you say would have been experienced running BEFORE the waves (bearing in mind the relationship between the length of the model basin, the speed of the model and the speed of the waves), and how many running INTO the waves ?

11. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

Drawings would nice to have... And Ulstein know this perfectly :).
    "The "famous" video of the X bow ship steaming in parallel with a conventional hull conveniently fails to mention the several megawatts difference in installed power between the two vessels."
    Difference in power or not, but X-bow ship clearly experience less pitching, while sailing at higher speed -quite an achievement.

"When model testing the X bow in waves, how many wave encounters would you say would have been experienced running BEFORE the waves (bearing in mind the relationship between the length of the model basin, the speed of the model and the speed of the waves), and how many running INTO the waves ?"
    Could you clarify this?

12. Iago Rodriguez

JRMacGregor, thanks for your comments, of corse i know the diferences about needed power on ulstein boats, and all that things on models.
    But the real reason for my little test is that as i said i am involved on design and building of a 102 m seismic ship with normal bow, and close to my shipyard there is another one who has delivered almost the same vessel but with ulstein design ( "in collaboration with ulstein" , of corse) with the same equipment, same length, and same power ( but lower transit speed ).

my idea was to check by myself ( and some softwares) both designs and get my own conclusions. However, this post has started a very interesting forum, and i am very glad for it.

so, please, as Perm stress said, could you please clafiy a little bit more you ideas about model testing and waves.

thanks again & waiting to read more about you

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.