Dellipse (Double elliptical geodesic pod)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gilboe, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Gilboe

Gilboe New Member

Whilst I am a seaman I have been interested in geodesic structures.
    I have developed a type of geodesic structure that might be considered to have an application as a houseboat, underwater habitat. tsunami/flood refuge.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gilboe/Delipse?feat=directlink

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Interesting shapes, but of all the various ways and materials that hulls and deck structures are made I can not see how these would be useful.

You need to find a building material where this kind of structure and assembly process that would be beneficial, and than find a practial application where it is would be cost effective and its benefits would be desirable. Shelters to be assembled in remote locations perhaps?

Geodesic structures on buildings have not worked out so good since making them weather tight over the long term has proved problematic. Also most people find rooms with square corners or more useful. The homes and buildings that used geodesic shapes cost more to build, yield less useful living area for effort, and end up leaking at all the joints over the long run. But most of all most home owners want a home that looks similar to all the others in the neighborhood. I have noticed this about boat owners as well. "Tradition" plays a big role in what most consumers are willing to buy. So that means you have to find a market where there is little or no tradition that plays a role.

Good luck with it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gilboe

Gilboe New Member

Thank you for your comments Petros

Did you view any of the pictures in the web album link that I provided? I made an explanation against most of them.

The lattice structure of the model that I photographed comprises of five copies of six plane shapes. The model is of plastic but the photograph detailing the construction is laminated wood. I propose that whether the lattice is made of sheet or laminated material it offers a very strong structure. Each of the constituent parts is slotted to four others along its mid-length with an angled thirding joint (as opposed to a halving joint) and is additionally supported by four others at each end with a form of finger joint. Just like the ribs of a boat, but interconnected.

I am currently developing the idea that the structure be made with 15 steel rings (five of three different shapes). Each with the required thirding (and now fifthing) joints prepared. Adhering to a strict sequence, after the first ring is positioned, subsequent rings are heated with steam jackets and allowed to contract on to the previously positioned rings. This completed lattice will be stronger than the pictured model.

I understand the limitations of normal geodesics with straight struts butting each other at a compound mitre joints at either end of each strut. I don't like them. I do like the curved form where the sid of each triangle is one part of three. You may agree that there is a similarity in the problem of covering the framework of a dellipse and the covering of a hull form of a yacht or boat which man has managed make weathertight, even watertight for years.

You claim that most people find rooms with square corners more useful. Indeed I’ve had several, on a ships and boats with far more complex hull shapes. (They were also watertight.)

I wonder if you have seen the animation that I provided. It shows the construction of a Dellipse structure using interconnecting blocks. These blocks could be rotomoulded and be insulated or empty and interconnected so they could be flooded. Thus the structure could be constructed at a remote location having been fabricated elsewhere. The side walls of each block would provide strength without an underlying structure, the strength of the whole increasing with the depth of the blocks.

Were thin blocks attached to the aforementioned lattice and each other they would form a watertight hull much like other vessels.

I can provide all numerical data for any circular structure of this type from a flat disk to an egg of any size and thus the form of any part.

I don’t want to promote Dellipse as a luxury house boat. I understand what you mean about tradition. I’ve seen traditional houses on pontoons sitting next to each other and wondered. Why?

The strength of the Dellipse lends itself to a utilitarian use. As a base for research on land or sea. As a refuge from flooding or other natural disasters. A floating pod could, by flooding some of the blocks that comprise it, be submerged to escape the air/water interface in storm conditions (or burning oil?) or be submerged to create an underwater habitat.

All in all. I think this is an ideal subject in this forum and I welcome and appreciate your thoughts.

4. yipster

yipster designer

there are more than only "geodesic" structures rite ?
    was looking into this a year back but forgot most
    once upon a time i placed a rubber band in a sphere
    and folded it flat so that it popped out of a book or envellope
    and could be clamped on a bar and more stuf like that
    still think that its hot and should be explored further

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.