delftship help!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by orpheus, Aug 31, 2009.

1. orpheus

orpheus Junior Member

hi I am trying to import offset table in the import option of the Delftship free version, but i keep getting "Invalid numeric input".

Any help here would be sincerely appreciated...
    attached is the file.

Thanking in anticipation>>>

Attached Files:

2. orpheus

orpheus Junior Member

the lines are similar to that of a destroyer warship generated from standard series. But I am not able to model it.
    correction in beam 16.486 (not 17) as mentioned in the file...
    cheers

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I don't know if the free version will import the table. You might also have the table in a format that DS isn't able to understand. I believe it should be in X,Y,Z format with X being length, Y being Width from centerline and Z being height above lowest point.

4. orpheus

orpheus Junior Member

hi Lewis,

offset can be imported in free version...
    I actually went through their help manual, which specified the text file format and filled the content as per this and uploaded..which of course didn't work..
    Later I downloaded a model from their website (.fbm) file and exported their offset, which again are in right format.

But the problem is that, the program is just not accepting my file... it points to some numeric error but doesn't specify where the error is (gosh! i wish i could debug...)

I think X Y Z format is from importing surface (..i am not sure of this..). This wouldn't work out for me as I have offsets in the traditional manner...

I have the lines plan in autocad... Is it possible for me to export it

5. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

Try putting a space between the length (153.00) and the backslash that comes immediatly after the last zero..

1 person likes this.
  6. orpheus

orpheus Junior Member

Its working... I included the space...
    thanks, Marti... that saved my day!

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

'Cause he's the man who wrote the code!

1 person likes this.
  8. orpheus

orpheus Junior Member

Thanks, Lewis, i think i figured that out reading other forum pages... I don't think any other software gives such immediate help available!!!

Thanks Marti..

9. Mike Bishop

Mike Bishop New Member

Hi
    I have a similar problem with importing offsets into Free!ship, although I'm getting an "error in line" message. I've tried get my txt file in the same format as the example provided in the Free!ship manual, but no luck so far..

The Free!ship manual says "A more extensive sample file can be found
    in the FREE!ship \ships subdirectory and is called Round hull import demo.txt.", however, I can't find this. Can anybody help me with a copy of this sample file?

Thanks, Mike.

10. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Mike
    Attached text file has the offsets for a 3.8m long cat hull. You should be able to <Import> <Surface> this file into Delfship to test it works.

You need to set the project space using <Project> <Main dimensions> once you import it. This will alter the view you get in the Bodyplan showing the stations fore and aft of the longitudinal centre.

The hull is only the immersed portion and is from Michlet so is not smoothed.

If you can import this then you can compare it to what you have to see if there is an error.

Rick W

Attached Files:

11. Mike Bishop

Mike Bishop New Member

Thanks Rick.
    I think I discovered the problem - I had the offsets text file open in another window. When I closed that, FREE!ship successfully imported the file.
    Mike.

12. wardd

wardd Senior Member

is there a spreadsheet that will generate a table of offsets for delftship?

13. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

What do you want to use as the starting point for your hull?

Why not simply use the hull generation function in Delftship. You set the length, beam, draft, number of longitudinal points and number of vertical points. Once you have that you move them around to get the desired shape.

Rick W

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.