delftship freeship compatablity

Discussion in 'Software' started by set321go, Dec 7, 2009.

1. set321go

set321go Junior Member

hello folks was sent in this direction from S.A.

I have been trying out some free software started off with freeship, then delftship and freeship plus.

I have made my model in delft ship but i cant import it into freeship plus they both have the same file extension but after inspection of the file headers they are different, this is at its simplest really annoying but i was under the impression that it was an open format. If a comercial company wishes to use a different file structure then surely they have to give it a new file extension.

anyway... how can i import a model from delft ship 3.2 into freeship plus 3.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Freeship and Freeship+ are open source but not universally compatible and Delftship is commercial. However...you can import/export between the three by using the .part export/import. Export all the layers as a .part and import as same then reassign. This works as far as I know.

3. set321go

set321go Junior Member

thanks i hadnt thought of that!

4. set321go

set321go Junior Member

thats a no go as well damn them i wish they had just given it a different file extension because its clearly not compatible with freeship

5. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

Delftship is fully compatible with freeship, up till version 2.60.

6. set321go

set321go Junior Member

freship 2.6 or delftship 2.6

7. lewisboats

That would be Free!Ship...check with SourceForge...they may still have copies of the older versions...in fact I still might have some copies on the odd harddrive here or there. Look back at the old postings from a few years ago under my name. I think I was the first to introduce it here...with links to the software. There may be other threads with links too....

never mind...here is a link to the older files.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeship/files/

Click on Free!ship under the manuals and you have access to all the original versions. Download your flavor, open the delftship file, save it then open it in 2.6 if you feel the need to...hope that works for you.

8. set321go

set321go Junior Member

right
    fs v2.3 off sourceforge
    fs+ v3.x off random russian site!
    delftship 3.2 off download page of delftship site

The first two programs are not compatible with delftship. neither version of fs will open a delftship file even thought it has the same file extension. Neither version will open a delftship part even though it has the same file extension. They have completely different file structures, ive looked.

I started using freeship found delftship which was better but now found freeship plus that has a tool for keel bulbs which is really handy. but having made most of the model in delftship i need to get it out of this format. it makes me angry it uses the same file extension but is not compatible.

9. lewisboats

You might be angry but Martijn used freeship as a tool to develop Delftship. He left it up so folks could use it but Delftship is a commercial product designed so that he can get some return on his investment of years developing freeship. It is through his good graces and generosity that you have either one to play with (freeship and delftship free...). If you have to...redo it in a different program. Be thankful that he spent how many hundreds of hours to produce the code that you are using for free...surely you can spend a few hours re-creating your masterpiece in the other program.

10. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Lewisboats.
    Then let us hope that he earns as much as he is worth.
    Caused by his code many more then me are able to learn and stude the hydrodynamic and see what it can do.

11. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

Also he has created the a very good self learning program. The base of everything i know comes from curiosity and freeship. Always i did find parameters in freeship I wanted to learn more about. Googled about it. and read more of it. I also have programmed some, and it does takes time.
    I hope you can imagine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.