Bow Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Yachti, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Yachti

Yachti New Member

Hi Guys

For my final year project at uni, im looking into the bow design of racing yachts (primarily offshore, miniTs, Class40, Open60s etc)

I hope to run a series of models through maxsurf and cfd and create a physical model to test in a tow tank to compare actual data with computer data.

Does anyone know where there is any literature of previous designs? ive studied Bulbous bows and Axe bows on powerboats to try to get a comparison.

Also i was told by a friend of mine abut the difference in designs between E3 and E4 during the VOR. I was lead to believe that E4 had much more volume in the bow, which lead to a higher speed in certain condtions. Can anyobdy clarify this??

Many Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.