List of boat building schools in the US

Discussion in 'Education' started by alexhiguera, Feb 3, 2005.

1. alexhiguera

alexhiguera Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    Read a thread on The Landing School in Maine, is admision this week or the next??

I would like someone to list me and for all others with the same passion boatbuilding schools in the US. Design, systems, boatbuilding, new tech and materials etc.
    If possible give opinions on their courses/curriculum and any experience there.
    I'm desperate to make a move from my Marketing/Business mayor and go into this field...which I love.

thanks!

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Alex
    As a person who is in the position of seeking out quality help in boatbuilding, I can tell you that you will be hardpressed to find a better recommendation to me than having graduated the Landing School.
    I will attend the job fair in April. Almost without any other qualifications or interviews I would give a graduate a chance in my shop. From what I have seen this is true of all my peers in the industry. I don't think very many students make it to June graduation without a job in hand.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I like building a cute wooden dinghy as much as the next guy, but most of the other schools do not qualify you for the complications of installing the systems in a modern yacht or dealing with cored structures, fairing, complex finishes, and constant changes in methods that are part of the industry today.

The Landing School is by no means the end of an education in the industry but you can't beat the start.
    From what I have seen of the design part of the school it is by far the best you will do without going to a University and getting your PEng along with design.
    I give it two thumbs way up....

3. alexhiguera

DGreenwood, thank you a lot for the info!
    So you say there is no better way/place to start an education on boat building.
    What do you mean by The Landing School not providing the education in systems and new industry techniques for modern yachts?

I want to go all the way on this field, what would be the next step in my boat design/building studies after The Landing?

Is there any other school that teaches the new core/sandwich etc systems etc new techniques in the industry?

Wood is not something I look forward to.

What about schools in Europe? (I'm willing to go far for the most complete education on the modern stuff!

Have you heard anything about the MITEC school/institute in the UK?

I'm asking lots of questions but answers would be greatelly appreciated!

Imagine right now 12:28am here in Puerto Rico... sore hands from re-wiring the nav lights on my 18' BWhaler... lots for tomorow ignition, tach, trim, acc etc etc, radio, speakers, more lights.
    I love this stuff!

4. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Alex
    Sorry--- I meant to say those "other" schools do not supply the sort of education required to step into a modern shop. Refering to those schools that teach the ummm...more traditional methods. (I have edited it, read it again)
    As I said, the Landing School is the best start I can think of in the US.
    Canada and New Zealand both have great appreniceship programs. I don't know how difficult they would be for you to get into.
    I don't know about any European ones.

5. alexhiguera

DGreenwood,
    Then in the US there is no better place to start on this field.
    Can you tell me from your experience what new methods of boat construction they teach?

What software used in designing boats (design program)? (Rhyno, Max Surf?)

Can systems, boat design and boat construction be combined into one package/one 10 month program? or two courses of those into one 10 month program?

6. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Alex,

I used to be on the Advisory Board for the Design Program at the Landing School. It is one of the best trade schools in the country, if not the world, to learn the fundamentals of boat design, boat building, and marine systems. Believe me, there is absolutely no way that you could combine all three programs into one 10 month term. You could not even combine two programs together. The students work so hard, and spend so much time on their class work and shop work that there are not enough hours in the day to accommodate all of the information that you will learn.

In the design program alone, students usually arrive in class by 8:00 AM, some even earlier, and they will stay there often times until late at night, sometimes to midnight or later, just to get their work done. It is highly competitive.

The software that is used in the design program is Multisurf for the 3-D modelling, and AutoCad for drafting. They may have Rhino, but Rhino is not tailored necessarily to boat design. That is, it does not have built-in hydrostatics and stability calculation modules that Multisurf has.

In boat building, you get training primarily in wood construction, which includes cold molding. There are some classes in composite construction that includes vacuum bagging. Again, there is a lot of information to digest, and you have to build the boats, and that takes time on task. They build boats up to 26', both power and sail, and they have quite a number of each being built at the same time, so it is a pretty busy place. All of these boats are sold at the end of the class year in June. The orders are backlogged a few years in advance--a customer has to get on the waiting list for one of them.

In marine systems, you get to work on actual boats learning how to do fiberglass repairs (you cut holes in them, then patch them up again.) You take apart marine equipment and engines, and you put them back together. You have to rip out old machinery and systems from actual boats (donated by owners) and install new machinery and systems. A lot of the classwork is done in accordance with ABYC standards, and they offer certification in certain ABYC programs along with your course certificate.

In all three programs, there is more material to study than can be crammed into a 10-month period. We had a hard time from year to year to decide what classwork to include, and what could be afford to leave out. They were not easy decisions. A lot of your questions should be directed directly to the Landing School, they will be happy to answer them. Be prepared to work hard.

Eric

7. alexhiguera

DGreenwood, that last message was of great inspiration!
    I like the hands on of the systems program for that I like the fiberglass repair aspect of the course. But I have done hands on most of my 24 years and know quite a bit, expecialy about boats. Although very much interested in the systems I'd rather not go there so in depth, my hands still hurt from the current ongoing BWhaler proyect. Everything I don't know about systems could be learned along the way using the same method I have used all my life: observing, reading and taking upon myself the proyect. No one has tought me.

The design program seems to be a more time dedicated and disiplined thing and that is what I'm looking for ... being at the top of the business, designing. And with you telling me that they use Autocad, MaxSurf and possibly Rhyno thats a +++.

Currently I'm taking a course in Autocad 2004, Satudays (tomorow 8am) soon will be certified by the school itself, the only institution in Puerto Rico that offers this certification which is recognized world wide Auto Desk .

that should help

looking forwards to MaxSurf!

8. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

alex
    That was Eric that did such a great job of explaining courses at the Landing School.

But I will confirm what he said and repeat that you had better be ready to concentrate if you go there. From what I have seen they do in 10 months, what takes 4 years elsewhere. The teaching staff there are absolutely exellent...professional and demanding, but good guys.
    And ACAD will be useful no matter what you do.

9. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  10. alexhiguera

Dutch Peter, the list in impresive especially those in the US, where I have been looking into for my first experience.
    Sorry I did not say this before but I am more inclined into the design aspect of boats and yatchs.
    In the US The Landing School was the only I saw with a design program.
    I will be there next year but I am also interested in any other good design school anywhere else in the world to later continue on this design track. Distance is not an issue as I love to travel.

Your list of other schools outside the US show Architecture and Marine engineering degrees not design schools, what is the difference?
    Do you have any other listing of design schools anywhere?

thanks a lot,
    Alex Higuera
    San Juan, Puerto Rico

11. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Alex,

Don't let the name of an education fool you. I did "scheepsbouwkunde", translated that's 'shipbuilding', but a large portion was also design.
    To really know what the schools do you should ask their study program, you'll probably find out that 20% is math and physics.
    Click an the links of the different schools and look at their programs, Westlawn and McNaughton also have a design program, there must be more!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.