Career Outlook

Discussion in 'Education' started by yawning_ferret, Feb 23, 2005.

1. yawning_ferret

yawning_ferret New Member

Hi,
    I'm new here, so I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I am very interested in persuing a path in boatbuilding. My question is, is there even a job market out there? Again, I'm still new at this, I'm just trying to reach out to any available resources, and you guys seem to know what you are doing :)

Thank you!

Jill

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Jill,

Yes, there are many opportunities in boatbuilding. You will need either formal training or an apprenticeship at a boatbuilder. For formal training, I recommend the Landing School in Kennebunkport, ME (I used to serve on the advisory board for the Design Program there). They have two boatbuilding programs, one for small boats (dinghies and peapods) and one for larger boats. The basic construction methods are traditional wood and wood-epoxy, but you also get training in composite lay-up. Go to www.landingschool.org for more information, and also look elsewhere on this forum under education.

Eric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.