New VPP based on Numerical Modeling

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Remmlinger, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Remmlinger

Remmlinger engineer

I have created a VPP that uses numerical modeling for the determination of the hull resistance and of the sail forces. It is also possible to optimize the trim parameters of the sails. I have described the theoretical background in the attached paper. The link for the download of the program is here: New VPP https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/new-vpp.68674/

Attached Files:

Dolfiman, CarlosK2 and rxcomposite like this.
  2. Sailor Al

Sailor Al Senior Member

I have accessed your 3D Aerodynamics paper but am unable to follow the description as it appears to require considerable prior knowledge of aerodynamics theory.
    It is not clear from the paper if it is the implementation of existing theories an independently developed theoretical approach.

3. Remmlinger

Remmlinger engineer

It is an application of Prandtl's lifting line theory. And yes, you have to have a solid knowledge of aerodynamics. The physics of the lifting line and circulation should be well understood.

4. Sailor Al

Sailor Al Senior Member

Could you outline how I might use it to improve the racing performance of my 40' Bermuda rigged keelboat?

5. Remmlinger

Remmlinger engineer

If you have the offsets of your hull, you can download my VPP and play with the parameters:
    Velocity Prediction Program UliSpeed https://www.remmlinger.com/UliSpeed.html
    Without the detailed hull information, you can only use my program UliSail:
    3D Sail aerodynamics with UliSail https://www.remmlinger.com/3D%20Sail%20aerodynamics.html
    UliSail maximizes the driving force, whereas UliSpeed maximizes boat speed. The optimal trim might be different.
    UliSpeed is far more complex, therefore the runtime is much longer.

6. Mikko Brummer

Mikko Brummer Senior Member

A truly impressive job Uli, UliSpeed is indeed in the masterclass among VPPs.

From the manual I read the UliSpeed cover "5-DOF", or 5 degrees of freedom, only yaw missing from a full 6-DOF VPP. Most VPPs are still only 2-DOF (I believe the ORC is), boatspeed & heel, ignoring even the effect of leeway. You have the rudder angle as an input, and also estimate the canoe body side force/drag, so would it not be possible to add the 6th DOF, by iterating the rudder angle and underwater Mz against the sail Mz, in a similar fashion as you have leeway as an independent parameter within every iteration?

UliSpeed is also the only VPP I have seen that truly trims sails to maximize speed, with real world parameters such as sheeting angle, twist and camber. Camber only for the jib, though, are you defining the mainsail shape to maintain an as linear as possible downwash distribution for the sailplan?

From what I have seen, the proposed sail shapes perform very well, when analysed with CFD, even very different shapes providing quite similar results, as you state in the manual. On my wish list in the OUT-result file would be the mainsail and the jib CL & CD, easily integrated from the given Cl & Cd distributions. This would highlight the role of the main vs. the jib, as the jib CD is often close to zero, very much different from the ORC sailcoefficients, for instance.

7. Remmlinger

Remmlinger engineer

Thank you, Mikko for doing such a deep dive into my program!

Theoretically, it would be possible. I use XFOIL to determine the aerodynamic coefficients of the local profile of the sail. The lift coefficient is well predicted by XFOIL, the drag is still estimated closely enough for a VPP, but the position of the center of effort can be erroneous, especially if the flow is separated. Calculating the balance would add a huge computational load for a questionable result. On the other hand, I am interested in the geometric optimization of the boat. If the first prototype on the water would require a rudder angle that is too large, one would change the position of the mast or of the keel, but would not substantially change the general geometry of the boat.

To create the database for the mainsail with XFOIL requires the variation of the Reynolds-number, the sheeting angle, the mast diameter and the angle of attack, each with a spacing that is close enough to allow interpolation. Right now, the database comprises 1680 lift and 1680 drag coefficients and 1680 values for the camber. Each operating point uses the camber that gives the best lift to drag ratio for the input parameters. If the camber of the mainsail were added as a further input parameter, the database would be larger by the factor 8 and the runtime would increase similarly. The question, if it is possible to produce such a mainsail, is the weak point of my method.

I will do that and add the forces created by the individual sails. However, this information could be disturbing to the novice (not for you :)). The jib operates in a flow field that is distorted by the main and vice versa. If each sail were used alone, the forces would be quite different. Max Munk described this in his biplane theory in 1923. Aviation and Aerodynamics History: Max M Munk https://aerodyn.org/munk/ (stagger theorem).
    In my program, the induced velocities caused by the free and bound vortices of the sails and of their mirror images are calculated using the Biot-Savart-law. In addition, the effect of the streamline curvature is taken into account. As a result, the flow field for each sail is quite different from the undisturbed onset flow. The resultant force vector at the jib is rotated forward, whereas the vector at the main is rotated backwards. One consequence is for example: If you leave everything unchanged and just reef the mainsail, the force on the jib will change and its drag-component will increase.

Thanks again, Uli

8. Remmlinger

Remmlinger engineer

CocoonCruisers and CarlosK2 like this.

9. Mikko Brummer

Mikko Brummer Senior Member

Wow - that was fast. Attached pics of a sample run of the Dehler 33 in a state of the art CFD program XFlow:

. Kuva 19.1.2024 klo 15.34.jpg Kuva 19.1.2024 klo 15.36.jpg

XFlow is showing a relatively strong separation vortex on the inside of the Genoa, but that doesn't seem to harm UliSail:

Output from UliSail
    Fx_aero = 603.375 N Fy_aero = 2457.649 N heel.moment = 19239.26 Nm

And XFlow Fx 580 N Fy 2490 N. Mx 19190 Nm

Correlation is not always this good, but still close for very different looking sail shapes that UliSail produces.

CocoonCruisers and CarlosK2 like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.