Electric boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dskira, Jul 19, 2009.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Rick Willoughby I went to your web-site and realy enjoyed it.
    The V13 I think it's a superbe design, and I hope to see pictures of the first sea trial.
    How do you see the future for electric propulssion on long range cruising, do you see the hybrid system the best solution, or the all electric with panels?Daniel

2. slonez

slonez Junior Member

The automotive industry will set the pace on battery development and I think they are fast-tracking it. In the meantime, I use golf cart batteries from Sam's Club. My idea is to have fun and keep the price low until the best solution is found. I can go all day and then put it on a trailer to recharge at home or to a campground or marina. For an extended cruise, I put a generator aboard...just in case. I run 36 volts but the future will probably dictate higher voltage for longer range and more speed.

3. slonez

slonez Junior Member

electric cruising

For long range electric cruising I believe you would want everything available to you including wind generator, water generator, solar panels, and I would still take a small generator ( diesel would be best), just in case. This would not be called a hybrid, just an emergency get home system. Long range electric cruising is coming and it won't be long before it is economically feasible. My opinion only, of course but I'll bet someone is out there designing one right now.

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I see that it is on the verge of being practical.

You need to work through the whole design so you work to the strengths of the technology.

The features that I see making it practical:

1. Operate at steady speed with an easily driven hull for the design speed.

2. Use modern materials and construction methods to build light and strong.

3. Use both wind and solar energy collection.

4. Use modern robust electronics and electrics to maximise the efficiency of energy collection, storage and powering.

5. Use high efficiency propeller and turbine.

6. Keep the amenities in proportion to the size of the boat. Meaning do not try to cram all the modern "home" comforts into a small boat. If you want these then you need a big platform.

My solar wind boat (V13) is a long-term project. The journey started about 10 years ago. I started testing the pedal boat models about 6 to 7 years ago. It took me to V11 to find out how to design minimum drag hulls. I also have learnt a lot about prop design. In my mind it was always going to be a sailing vessel but then I learnt how little power is really required to do sailing boat speeds with the right hull and prop. The idea of electric boat started to take shape. Even it has evolved and is still not firm. I am still testing and learning about the things that are needed to make it practical. There is also quite rapid developments going on with the electrical technology that will reduce prices.

Rick W

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I like the shape of your V13. The way you designed a very efficient center hull, narrow and long with the amas on the side touching slighlty the water (if I read the designe correctly), The assembly of the three elements: efficient and narrow hull, with the stability pods allow a real good platform who looks almost like a monohull. It has this "complete" design aspect, laking to often on modern low wetted area design.
    The design of the superstructure are extremly well proportioned to the whole design and that is not easy to achieve when needed a great area for the panels.
    Something pop out on this design in my mind, it has its own very gentil and strong character, very pleasant.
    Thank you for your explanations, they are very interresting.
    Daniel

6. Guest625101138

Daniel
    Thank you for the comments.

I keep working on the idea and appreciate input from many sources.

I have the materials to build a 1/5th scale radio control model of the boat to do some further testing of the shape in waves.

Also I am not sure if it can be built within my weight target. So it still has some iteration to go yet.

Rick W

7. Nick F

Nick F Junior Member

Has anyone seen this?
    http://23e.epicboats.com/
    That claim a whole week end riding with 75L diesel and a charge over night!

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

It was the car builder Émile Mathis who said: The weight, this is the enemi!
    He was perhaps the first car builder to point out that weight is detrimental to performances.
    For your boat, it will be a continuous quest to keep the unecessary weight out! But it is the most interresant think to do.
    What is the material are you thinking of ? what will be the displacement lenght you think you can achieve?
    Do you think when it's done you can post some pictures of your 1:5 model?

9. Guest625101138

Daniel
    My weight target is very demanding so I am not going to give it here. You will think I am a fruit cake.

I expect the model is about a month away. I will certainly post some images and clips of it in operation.

Rick W

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.