deep sea mooring

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by exp30002, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are laws against transporting hazardous materials to dump in other countries. Smart *** remarks are not a legal defense.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

No, if you pick up a container, to keep it legally you have to file a salvage claim.

3. chinaseapirate

chinaseapirate Previous Member

to SamSam: <removed insult directed towards another member> Of all the nonsense. Are you trying to be funny (I do that at times- nowhere in this thread however)? for the life of me I could not draw any implication of what I had posted and your anecdote of tires sinking and their tread not being sealed, so I left it alone. But this time you are implying that I need to be schooled about simple gravity, exponents and material science. If you had just stated that Marine PVC shrink wrap (u-line product look it up) and inflatable PVC boat plastic are not the same, I would not be taking offense. It Would have been helpful if you had some proprietary info and were able to share the different amount of plasticizers, heat stabilizers and uv resistance chemicals used, maybe a thickness comparison also. I would have even given you a like.

But no, apparently you felt it necessary to extrapolate the difference into an implausible example. How <removed> is a thin plastic wrapping material supposed to compress a tube of tires 54 feet long into one 27 feet long? I'm also not clear if it was supposed to have shrunk the tire size from 27"diameter to 13.5" diameter or just to 27" wide x 13.5 tall nor what that has to do with boat size/volume. Since your example used a ratio of "4" I guess I have to assume the 13.5 inch diameter AND that you mixed up VOLUME with SURFACE AREA. Loud enough?

As to my substitution of the word "carry" for the context-impaired readers requiring the word "support", I'll clear that up specially just for you, even though the next sentence after your clipped quote of mine should have made it clear to a novice that I was giving a submerged weight comparison. After subtracting the weight of 1.00(the "seawater" adjusted specific gravity the OP provided) from both 1.03 and 1.3, yes I am correct in that TEN times, or 1000%, more anchor rode could be carried below water by the same yacht that could only carry 15,000 previously with the different specific gravity figure I had used.

<reported post - remarks which jab at or insult other forum members have been removed>

4. chinaseapirate

chinaseapirate Previous Member

"A wild idea would be to make a steel container ballasted with a keel and
    fill large part of it inside with polyurethane foam, so it would not sink, even
    if it gets full of water. Bulkheads inside the container might be good too.
    To paint it with some paint like, pickup truck bed lining paint thing, inside and out.
    Than wrap it with two layer of ring woven mats and
    to fill the empty spaces" with lightweight concrete. Weld some re-barar straps to the container and string it through a few weaves of tire treads beforehand. Solid lightweight concrete floats also and doesn't soak as much water as polyurethane foam. Just use the foam to seal the container, pressure test it, presto "certified unsinkable" 60 foot yacht. Too expensive( your're looking at $5000 range now) for my taste...but definitely faster than my pontoon barge design under sail. :)

5. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

The question of chinaseapirate about the tires, and sidewalls.
    So, I might used the wrong term for the sidewall, I called it rim.

Tire sidewall of passenger cars and pickup-trucks has no steel mash.
    The belt has steel mash, but it stops at the sidewall. At the end of the steel mash it is easy to cut.

18 wheeler semi truck tires have steel mash in the sidewall too.(beasts)

6. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

I am just entertaining myself, like SamSam.
    But tires are entertaining, with all that recycling fee. well, well well

The cost of not doing something is regret.

7. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

Gonzo, I do not need legal defense to accusations here
    <removed insult directed towards other forum members>

8. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

If tires are hazardous materials, then why are those all around us on the wheels of passenger and other vehicles?

9. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

If you do not like smart remarks, then do not do them.

10. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

So, what? Do you think I cannot file a salvage claim? I can. And I have all the time to wait for the answer. I just do some trolling here. Thank you for keeping me entertained.

11. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

So the thing to do here is mix in a whole lot of ******** that the trolls can eat up.
    Meanwhile people with sense can read between the lines.

12. exp30002

exp30002 Previous Member

****************************************************************************************************************
    ****************************************************************************************************************
    here trolls , eat it

13. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Probably best to close this thread at this point as it seems to be causing more frustration than productive discussion at this point. Maybe there is another site which would be a better venue for this type of mooring project.

kapnD likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.