I suggested a homemade PVC pipe mounted skeg for inflatable dingy rowboat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

2. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

I had one of these:
    Small Plastic Boat | Canada & USA | Backwater Boats https://plasticboats.com/
    ... basically, every stroke of the oars was as much a steering stroke as a power stroke, sometimes worse.

I bought a thin piece of steel plate and some aluminum angle and fabricated a kick-up skeg, a non-steering rudder, in effect. Had a line to lift it out of the water for beaching. I built it to attach through the existing motor mount bolt holes. Problem solved, and the boat still turned quite easily with it down.

All the tools you need are hand tools for the hardware, a sabre saw to cut the plate, a drill (I used a drill press, but a hand drill will suffice). A file to clean up the edges of the plate, and some paint for the steel.

Start with a bigger plate than you think you might need, because for your inflatable, you'll probably need a lot.

brendan gardam likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.