Dedicated to steam yacht

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dskira, Sep 20, 2010.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Or heavy gearboxes, yes.

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Captain Richard :)

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

ok here

Attached Files:

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Savarona hit the water for the first time at Blohm & Voss Yard

[​IMG]

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

They were not yacht, but still beautiful

The Liberty ship.
    Triple expansion steam engine. the line are very elaborates, to make due for the relatively low power of the steam engine they had, and the great cargo they had to transport.
    Originally a English design, she was redesigned slightly for building practicality.
    It seams to my own research from the plan, and comparing when I have been at the museum to board the real one, the freeboard seams to have been raised from the original design, nonobstant the cargo weight.
    The first one were riveted then the following one welded. the riveted one, more flexible, lasted longer, the first welded one had fissure on the hull, at the edge of the deck and hull. They had to address the problem by changing the design from riveting to welding. These two system are very different in nature.

[​IMG]

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

I agree that the Liberty was a beauty. In these days the Brits did know how to do elegant freighters.

But I do not understand why the Usanians did not use the hughe room for cargo?
    It says No one hold, through to No five hold, in total 15 no hold´s. Not one cargo hold......:D

7. wardd

wardd Senior Member

the cargo was kept in the captains desk drawers which is why so many were built

8. wardd

wardd Senior Member

a lot of the welding problems were from farm girl welders being off the farm for the first time in their lives, as the work force gained experience a lot of early problems disappeared plus they had to learn to grind the cut edges before welding.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

I´m honoured having contact with such brilliant minds, thank you.

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

We bask in his brilliance. ;)

11. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Wasn't the welding, it was the steel and hatch corner design. Almost all failures occured in the heat effected zone of the plate, not the weld. Read the reports. The reports are "Final Report of a Board of Investigation to Inquire into the Design and Methods of Construction of Welded Steel Merchant Vessels" 15 July 1946 and Ship Structure Committee report SSC-37 "Considerations of Welded Hatch Corner Design".

12. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Back to steam yacht

Interesting, but now back to steam yacht.
    the Liberty was just a momentary diversion due to the beautiful line behind an utilitarian allure.
    Now back to yacht, and if someone has good picture of steam yacht, please show us.
    Thank you
    I showed Nahlin, but I deleted it since I read the vacuum owner and the so call Watson office guys didn't have the balls to keep the original steam turbines.
    Thank you
    Daniel

PS. It's like Rosenkavalier in her refit lost her original Krupp engine to fit stupid Caterpillar. I don't call that a refit, I call the an utterly stupid act.
    But greed and cowardice seams to reign in the charter business.

I am so opinionated I scare myself.:p

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

So that would be Nein x 5 = 45 holds?

14. dskira

dskira Previous Member

And now a moment of the pic of luxury:
    King George V and Queen Mary disembarking from the Victoria and Albert.
    the hull built of steel and entirely sheathe of wood, for aesthetic reason.

[​IMG]

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

And the original steam houseboat Loudoun from 1899.
    The second picture show the family on the upper deck.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.