plz help!! i really need to know how naval architects use math!

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by druidking, Nov 2, 2008.

1. druidking

druidking Junior Member

please tell me how naval architects(or a job of the like) use math i've searched the internet and cant find anything.
    i need to know:
    some formulas
    3 examples of the math (problems you would use the math to solve)

please help me i need to write an essay about it in my algibra class

to all who have or are about to reply i thank you greatly

:)

2. blackdaisies

blackdaisies Senior Member

Here's 3 and due to this program I can't write just the numbers by themselves so ignore all the at signs (@) they are just blank spaces and I need something there to represent blank spaces:

L= WATERLINE LENGTH

B =WATERLINE BEAM

D= DEPTH OF HULL MIDSHIPS

1. The Thames Measurement (TM) or Thames Tonnage is the measurement for the internal volume of the vessel (page 28 in book, paragraph 6):
    The 2 is for B to the second power

@@@@@@@@@@2
    @@@@@(L-B) X B
    TM= ______________
    @@@@@@@94

2. The Block Coefficient is the measurement of estimating the depth of the main hull ( /\ is a triangle the best I know how to make on my keyboard (page 9 paragraph one):

Cb= /\ x 35 / (L X B X D)

3. Tons per inch immersion, The number of tons per inch which will cause the boat to sink or rise one inch in the water (page 66 paragraph 2):

@@@@A
    TPI= ____

@@@@420

As far as how to use them, you have the name of the formulas and what you would use them for, but I am only quoting from a book. You can search what they are for more information or maybe someone will tell you a working problem as an example.

The book is called "How to Design A Boat" by John Teale,

Good luck.

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Druid, it's not that simple. I was with someone a while back to help me with some calculations. You have to be really into this to do it right.

There are some programs that could help you with certain things, do a search for software, see if you can find something there.

4. MattZ

MattZ Junior Member

Google for Reynolds' number. desity * velocity * distance / viscosity. It's probably the most important number when working with scale models.

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

start learning about Simpson's multiplier formulas and different ways to use it. Otherwise their is noway you will get the displacement and everything that goes with it done....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.