Interior wood: Help me identify and refinish.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by MJT, Sep 26, 2012.

1. MJT

MJT Junior Member

I'm restoring a 1970 Cheoy Lee Offshore 40. Complete gutting and rebuilding, but reusing much of the interior woodwork. I seek advice on how to refinish the interior wood. It appears to be stained. Here is a door to one of the hanging lockers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the back of the door, where I've been a bit more aggressive:

[​IMG]

It looks like teak around the edges, but the thin interior is what?

Any recommendations for refinishing would be appreciated.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Do not know what the wood is but there are several bleaching products for wood including bleach for getting the dark stains out. Others with more experience than I will probably chime in on this. You can then re-stain and apply finish.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Teak and mahogany are the woods used, with mostly teak. I had a Choy Lee offshore 35 some years ago and it was all teak.

[​IMG]

Get this book . . . "Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood", it probably the best on the subject, if you want to do it right.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.