Deck replacement question - Plywood fit?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by thill, Aug 12, 2010.

1. thill

thill Junior Member

It's been awhile, now, so I thought I'd do a follow up...

What I ended up using was a layer of 4" wide x 2 oz CSM tape over the seam, then a full layer of 1.5 oz matt over the entire floor, including the seam, then another layer of 2 oz matt.

All three layers went on one layer after another, with only gel time in between. They were very carefully rolled out, with no air bubbles allowed to remain, and not too much resin.

The final product turned out very nicely! I let it set up for 2 days as mentioned above, and it felt very strong. I put two layers of deck paint over it, and re-installed the console, seat and so on.

Since then, the boat has been in regularl service, and has done GREAT! Even in heavy seas, the boat feels rock-solid. It's been run hard for a year, and no stress cracks or ANYTHING to indicate anything negative or weak. It really does feel stronger than it ever did before. When you jump over a surprise wave, it lands with a solid "thump" instead of that "CRASH!" it used to make before.

The book I had followed said that if you did a proper fit on the plywood, the layup of CSM would be stronger than the original boat, and they seem to be correct. Next floor I do, I may do some triax tape over the seam, but I'm very happy with the results of this one.

Thanks again, everyone for the help.

-TH