Surface restoration: What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by sandshark12, Sep 23, 2008.

1. sandshark12

sandshark12 Junior Member

Hello everyone I am trying to restore a small racing scow and I've come across some hurdles as to how to handle certain surface textures that have remained after trying to sand the boat down. So i was hoping you guys can help me out by explaining what you would do with any of surface textures below

Would you sand more?
    Apply a fairing compound?
    Epoxy?
    Or would you just leave it alone prime it and repaint it?

Also if anyone has any suggestions as to what is the best paint to use for nonskid and cockpit areas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Hopefully I will load the images correctly and you will be able to see the detail

If not you can check out my photobucket

U: sandshark111
    P: Sandshark1

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      258.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      185.7 KB
      Views:
    • 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      160 KB
      Views:
    • 4-1.jpg
      4-1.jpg
      File size:
      275.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. bntii

bntii Senior Member

1- White paint (?) shows poor adhesion and is worn through:

Sand till you can feather edges and make sure of compatibility of topcoats. Good candidate for priming to sort out issues. Focus on slicks, on nonskid areas get surface down but know the nonskid paint will cover micro fairing issues. Looks like one long stress crack in bottom of photo- grind out and fill.

2. Bottom paint?

Just sand down to gel-coat and prep for bottom paint or leave bare if not left in water. White 545 is not a bad way to go for surface if left bare.

3. Filler in old damage.

Just grind out a bit further to get the cracks to each side and sand to fine/fair surface to prime.

4. Stress cracking.

Grind out- fill fair. Make sure surface is not hinging about the corner to create cracks- if so add some glass inside to stiffen corner.

On these sorts of issues I use the 3m filler as it sands to really fine edges and is fast. If concerned about strength I step up and mix epoxy pastes with colloidal silica or microfibers. After getting all the surface issues- spay prime the whole boat with 545 and go over with glazing if you want to really nail the finish and get all the pinholes.

Hope this helps. Got any pics of boat in profile?

1 person likes this.
  3. sandshark12

sandshark12 Junior Member

Thanks bntii, greatly appreciate your reply, heres a good profile pick I found of her. This particular model was only made from 75-80. I can't wait to see how she sails.

Attached Files: