Romany 21 roll reduction

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Lutefiskgeorge, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Lutefiskgeorge

Lutefiskgeorge Junior Member

Hi All,
    Ive got a romany 21 and love the boat, but hate the way she rolls. I find myself using the boat less and less now than i did in the past as finding the calmest of days seems to be far and few between.
    Uve tried flopper stoppers of all manner of types but not really had much luck with them.
    She doesnt have bilge keels like some romanys, and im reluctant to drill holes in the keel to add them just to trial them.

I have however seen these Aqualisers - Alloy Boat Stabilisers | Alloy boat stability and safety http://www.aqualisers.com/
    and that got me thinking of scaling them up for my boat as a trial.
    Obviously the idea being the wider the beam the less roll or different roll frequency.

My daughter has 2 very beaten up paddleboards that are not suitable for use as they have too much damage which i plan on using to do a trial.

If they work well I can then fabricate some wings that fold down at anchor or drift and look better.

Or i can go traditional outrigger style and lash them to my oars and then to the gunwale.
    Its a low tech solution, but, as people with more knowledge what do you think?
    Is it worth a try?

Thanks in Advance

Lars.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Try placing solid ballast inside the boat. Bags with stones, to try. The rolling will be smaller but faster.

3. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Try what you suggest.
    It will evolve from there.

It would appear bilge keels would likely be your best bet if others have had success with them, no?

4. Lutefiskgeorge

Thanks both of you, i have tried ballast, that was the first thing before popping stuff over the side, sorry should have said, its also got a perkins 4108 on shaft so that adds a pretty penny of ballast too.. I felt like the churchill dog waiting for my head to fall off!

Problem with bilge keels, i dont know anyone who has had their boats both with and without them to tell how much its helped. Nor do i know anyone with a bilge keeled shaft romany to compare mine to.

The dampening with the floppers i preferred to the ballast, as it was a more gentle action, but to get the best out of them they have to be as far out as possible.
    Thats then into outrigger territory.

Neither of you have said its a terrible idea, or a dangerous one, so for the cost of a plank of wood i may as well try it and see i guess!.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

OK, this is seemingly a semi-displacement powerboat hull with quite a round turn of the bilge, I notice a lot of pictures show bilge keels, and appear to be afterthoughts, which on a boat like this would almost be an admission it is a faulty design, they would certainly slow it down. But judging by how common an addition it is, it appears your best chance.

6. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Here is a shaft drive Romany 21 for sale - although she has a 70 hp Volvo diesel rather than a Perkins.
    Romany 21 Used Boat for Sale 1975(SOLD) | TheYachtMarket https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1619938/
    She has bilge keels - in the first photo they look a bit like they could be attached to moulded in stubs on the hull.
    Apart from possibly damping the rolling, the bilge keels would be popular in Britain for use in keeping the vessel reasonably upright in areas where the moorings 'dry out' at low tide.

7. Mr Efficiency

The "dry out" factor may well be a reason, but whether the main one, I don't know, but doubt it.

8. Lutefiskgeorge

Thanks for the advice guys, yea ive seen the boats with bk's online, and even asked a few sellers if they make a difference. Again they say they do, but havent any experience with the hull without, so have no clue really.
    Do bilge keels cut down on speed that much then?
    I only get 16kts out of her at wot, wouldnt like to lose some speed.
    Could i fabricate something like a lump of wood, attached to some metal that hangs off the gunwales that goes vertically or even at an angle under the water as a temporary bk to try? Would that work?
    Is there any way i could fabricate some retracting bk's much like a daggerboard or hinged centreboard?
    Thanks

9. Mr Efficiency

I really think it would be an idea to go out in one with the bilge keels, is the motion a problem underway, or only at rest ? If it is only at rest, I would be inclined to investigate water ballast, if there is room to accommodate it.

10. Lutefiskgeorge

It rolls alot while underway, at displacement speeds but its only annoying and uncomfortable whilst at rest, when im fishing. Ive got the adult tommy tippee cups on board, you cant have a mug of coffee without it sloshing out of the mug.
    It can be very bad but now im getting older my bones dont want to feel theyve gone 10 rounds with mike tyson every time im out.

11. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

If you’re really getting to 16 knots from that hull, that’s quite good, so I’d be inclined to leave the hull alone, and approach the rolling problem externally, ie deployable devices that can be hauled in favor of speed.
    The bilge keels on the vessel pictured are very bulky and lack fairing, are bound to induce a lot of drag, and will definitely slow it down. The rudder is not very sleek, nor is the end of the keel, improvements that beg for attention.
    That said, the hull was not designed for speed, and just might behave better without a huge diesel motor?

12. Mr Efficiency

It appears to be a semi-displacement boat, maybe narrowness is contributing to the roll, but without a lines plan I am a little puzzled why it would roll so much.

13. Lutefiskgeorge

Hi yes, sorry i thought i had mentioned it, its a semi d. Some were full displacement the later ones were semi d, either on shaft or leg.
    I cant comment on that so much, ive been on similar semi d boats, colvic seaworkers, channel island 22 and a duver for example, all have rolled, but none seemingly as much as mine does.
    Its really the only part of the boat i dislike, and really only bothers me at rest although it bothers the wife constantly when shes out with me

14. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Bilge keels won't help there.
    If you tried stabilizer bags over the side,
    then you need a new boat, sadly.
    Or, put a big keel down the centre line.

Getting a different boat would be easier, much easier.

15. Lutefiskgeorge

Whats a stabilizer bag?
    Ive tried flopper stoppers, bucket with and without holes, those orange cones and a hinged thing. As i said theyve helped, and maybe i just need to accept their limits.
    If there is another type, please let me know and il give it a go.
    New boat? Dont think that would fly with the wife, shame, but i love the boat anyhow!
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.