Deck Layout

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by nemo, Sep 27, 2002.

1. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

Can someone out there tell me if this deck layout arrangement is smart or has something that can be revised? I also have the .dwg file if someone wants.

Attached Files:

2. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Hi Nemo..

Race or cruise, how many crew, how big...

Anyway, IMHO I would put the foresail halyards + winch on the mast, that way one person on the bow controls the genoa drop (with a turn around the winch if required) and pulls it aboard at the same time.

Also dont see any reef lines? If the are left at the mast then leave the main halyard with them. If they come aft have the halyard aft too.

Do you really need winches to set up the runners - if its a race boat too much weight, and if its a cruiser then too much cost ? You could put winches aft for the Spin sheets and guys though depends on the application...

Also I doubt that you will need to winch the pole up and down on that size boat, - even the main is just qoing to need a "cinch" you could probably get away with one winch for the rest.

Why does the genny sheet go through the block on the rail and not straight to the track?

Cheers

PAul

3. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

Hi Paul,
    This is a racing boat (31') I'm restoring, I'd say the crew is 5, 6 persons max.
    The mast is very thin (maybe I can put online the sail plan), so I wouldn't place a winch on it. Besides, I don't like to have many lines on the cockpit, so I still don't know how to do for the reef lines.

Thanks,
    Stefano

4. Uli

Uli Senior Member

Hello Nemo
    I would put everything in the cockpit so you got one men "playing the pianomen". And if you put a roll in the boom than you can transfer the refflines over the deck in to the cockpit. I woulden't put anything on the mast.
    well that's what I think.
    maybe the pic. will help you.
    Uli

Attached Files:

5. MDV

MDV Junior Member

I agree with Uli, have all of the halyards etc. coming back to the cockpit winch's, including the pole lift and downhaul which in my opinion will need a winch for fine tuning when flying a spin at a close reach in 25knots.

For reefing lines on a boat this size, I think you can get away without having any winch's.

Regards,

Michael

6. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

Hi Michael,
    I think winches are not necessary for reefing lines ont this boat either, so I thought why not placing those lines directly on the boom with some cam cleats?
    regards,
    Stefano

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.