boat design testing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gregk, Sep 8, 2006.

1. gregk

gregk GregK

How would you go about testing a boat design in very rough sea conditions?

Is there anyway to simulate that? I mean, aside from software, is there any way to safely gain experience, and test your design in large waves?

My design is a small, narrow enclosed boat designed to roll if capsized. Picture a torpedo capsule. I would like to know how I can gain experience in this, and how to test the vessel in rough ocean conditions safely.

Has anyone ever been dropped into a rough ocean by a helicopter and then fished back out again? I wonder if there would be some way to use the surf near shore. I wouldn't want to crash into the shore though....

Ideas?

Thanks,
    Greg K

2. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Well, for a smallish vessel, I don't think the self-righting attribute would be too tough to test. A group of guys on either side of the boat, two ropes, one attached over the boat and down to the bottom of the hull, the other going under the boat and up to the top. Now just have yourselves a good old-fashioned tug-o-war! I always thought that would be a fun way of doing it. :D

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

It's called Model testing. You do it long before building the full scale boat.

Be aware that you may get very ill in your hull from the motion, not like the bike at all. Presuming you want to set some human powered record for a sea crossing (after looking at your website). I doubt that you want to be enclosed in a small light hull, the motion sickness will be intolerable.

good luck

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I think waves are generally shorter and higher, steeper, close to shore and in shallow waters than out on the deep oceans. So, if you have safe harbour you can go out in bad weather and try :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.