Deck cracks around traveler. Critical or cosmetic?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by SchockSantana28, Feb 4, 2021.

1. SchockSantana28

SchockSantana28 New Member

Hi all.
    Just wanted an opinion on these cracks around my traveler.
    First picture shows traveler configuration with 2 of the several cracks circled. The other pictures show close-ups of a few cracks. This area takes a lot of stress from the main sheet of course.

What's the best course of action - monitor and see if it gets worse, fix immediately, or to be expected on a 44 year old sailboat?

The boat is a 1977 Schock Santana 28 and the area of the deck the traveler is attached to is a molded part of the top deck and cannot be removed. Lastly, the close-up holes on the sides are not screw holes, they are weep holes for water.

Thanks for your input.

IMG_3957 (1).jpg IMG_3958.jpg IMG_3959.JPG IMG_3962 (1).jpg IMG_3963.jpg IMG_3964.jpg

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am not your best helper here. Can you provide photos of the whole setup from further back? I like your markups; they help a bunch.

It seems like a well tensioned traveler will make the cracks worse and I bet you can actually see the cracks open up now that I understand it better.

The big question is if a singular event caused it like a massive wind and slam event of the main or if it has happened overtime.

Hope some of the other posters help.

Also a picture of the bottom side below the Hatch under the traveler would be important for repair ideas.

Try to see if you can tension the one to open more and you'll get a better idea if this is more than a gelcoat issue.

But like Jaysen said, avoid bending the mast!

Dan

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum SS 28.

Firstly, from what you have shown us of your boat she does look in amazing condition - the non skid on the deck looks new, never mind that it is 44 years old now (or do you know if it has been re-done since?) .

Secondly, I will endorse Fallguy's thoughts above +1.

The cracks port and starboard in way of the drainage holes are hopefully just in the gelcoat, but they should be investigated further.
    The cracks in the port and starboard sides of the fibreglass beam that supports the traveller do look rather more ominous.

Is it possible to remove the sliding companionway hatch?
    And if this is possible, is there then any access from behind / underneath to the areas where the cracks are, or not really?
    What is the function of the screws that are visible in the aft side of the beam that supports the traveller?

fallguy likes this.
  4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I had the same question, forgot to ask. Is there a stiffener in there and screwed in?

bajansailor likes this.
  5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Any chance Gonzo is online? I was hoping he'd take a look.

6. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Take the bolts out and get some glass in there.It won't take too long and you will know the strength is sufficient since the existing laminate hasn't actually given way. A cosmetic repair that close to the edge of the non-slip will need to be done with some care and matching the colour might not be easy.How hard is it to get access below the deck?It wouldn't have hurt to have sealed the edges of those drain holes when they were drilled either.

bajansailor likes this.