pilot boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by cfr, Mar 31, 2009.

1. cfr

cfr Junior Member

Hi all i need some advice because i am planning to buy a used commercial boat:
    ex pilot boat from Ireland, designed as heavy weather all year round pilot boat in west ireland, a area which can be very ugly with west storm
    size: 51 feet , 14 feet width, 5 feet depth, 32 tons, steel, caterpillar 3406 B reduced to continous 250 HP, 1000 gallons diesel, flopper stopper installed from last owner

Converted already to a simple liveabord with a huge engine room and workshop, a big motorcycle fits inside

I first will use it as liveaboard coastl hopper in europe and the med but i am thinking to go transatlantik with the boat.

consumption i 5 gall at 9.3 knots which is nearlhull speed, so assuming when reducing to s/l 1,2-1,1 ie 7-7,5 knots i can get down to 2 gallons

questions: they used some concrete in the chainlocker and front cabin which i dont like, ofcourse it need internal attention and cleaning etc. I wonder about the range and cramped living down in the boat esp in hot climate, but on the otherhand no windows no problems..... please support me a little bit to find a decision.

I have the troller book, i have beebe and i am a sailor normally. The only thing is that a ex commercial is really simple inside

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

you can build an opening skylight over the main area with 30 cm, coamings,you can build a hatch foreward, with a fixed safety fire ladder, maybe with portholes or light somehow, have plenty of deck vents, with swan neck or mushroom 40 cm upstands, not in vulnerable places, you can have a huge canvas hatch vent ,you can have hull portholes better if there fixed, if there opening, make sure your crew has a rigorous drill to shut them in bad weather or when under way, or she may fill thru the ports & sink, no joke, it has happened here with 2 deaths on a calm day, when they fell asleep

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

A couple of hatches and a standing sun shade over much of the vessel , and light [paint will have you living in the tropics just fine.

2 gph is perhaps 30 -35 hp ,,7'5K is a lot on that tiny power.

I would jury rig a small tank , or install a Flow meter to be sure of speed/consumption measurements .

FF

4. Jack Daniels Eq

Jack Daniels Eq Shockwave

Agree with FF - 4 knots maybe, if hull is real clean.
    Ya dont mention price?!
    BR>Jack

5. cfr

cfr Junior Member

Hi, all yes big sun shade over the front deck will be done. I like this flat deck for use of normal garden chairs etc at anchor. 2 hatches has been installed but still for galley and head not enough ventilation. Actual owner did not go slow because no long passages he did 3000 miles in 3 years. At the moment i can only guess but have to come down from 5 gall / hr at nearly hullspeed. maybe in the end 3 or 3.5 gal/hr.
    price idea 80k usd, built 1983, engine 6000 hrs only and the cat seems to be one of the last good ones

6. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

what is the troller book, & the beebe

7. cfr

cfr Junior Member

These are 2 books for passagemaking in small powerboats. Beebe 's Passagemaking handbook was rewritten by mr leishman from Nordhavn Trawlers. The Troller Yacht is from G. Buehler a designer of the Diesel ducks, cheap long distance steel boats

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

nice looking boat CFR
    a few skylights later and that awning someone mentioned
    maybe a few folding deck chairs a drink and a girl or two and your in with Flyn
    sounds like a nice plan
    how many hours on the engines is always a good question

9. cfr

cfr Junior Member

Engine 6000 hrs, normally a pilot boat will get 3000 a year in service, so very lightly use. it was used only as heavy whaeter boat whereas for normal condition the used a faster pilot boat with 20 kn.

anybody here who has cat 3406 running and has some longterm experience ?

10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Hi, all yes big sun shade over the front deck will be done."

On our boat we found a lawn shade 10x10ft, complete with stretchers and legs at the garden store, fit our aft cockpit very well.

No its not "Marine" but its worked for 4 years , is EZ to stow , does not take up space like the baby buggy cockpit covers from the "marine folks",

Best of all at $65. US the cost was about half the sales tax of a "proper marine" sun cover.

Works for me,

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.