deck coating

Discussion in 'Materials' started by skiffish, Jul 8, 2005.

1. naturewaterboy

naturewaterboy Steel Drum Tuner

Sail1345,
    Why on earth would you want to coat a teak deck?

2. JoseSanchez

JoseSanchez Junior Member

Grizzly grip sample showed up the other day. It seems not bad, but when rubbing my hand over it, it seems to depart a light residue on my fingers. Maybe it just needs a bit of time to settle down. Not sure.

I also poured gasoline on it to see if it stains or not. Next will be diesel and then engine oil. Ill report back.

Still waiting for durabek and the other one I cant recall listed above. (Not sanitred)

Jose

3. JoseSanchez

JoseSanchez Junior Member

Well... diesel fuel poured on the sample of grizzly grip did not stain. It did smell not so good for a day or two. Gasoline also smelled for a while and did not stain. I do seem to think the color changed ever so slightly when gasoline was poured on it, but maybe my imagination.

WD40 though... that stained it permanently. I sprayed a small amount and let it sit for a while, hour or two. Tried to wash,scrub. It appears to be permanently stained. Or rather, permanently removed some of the color I suppose may be more accurate.

It kind of makes me wonder what other chemicals may cause stains. Im waiting for the durabek to come.. Not sure what to think right now.

Jose

4. jeffn67

jeffn67 New Member

okay, so what is the recommendation on decking paint? How has the paint you put on held up over the past three plus years?

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

Consider Wing Walk, tho I wish I had teak decks...

6. naturewaterboy

naturewaterboy Steel Drum Tuner

Ultra Tuff - I looked at their website - they claim to be used by the US Navy, US Coast Guard, cruise ships, ferrys - pretty impressive list of customers. They say it is an acrylic urethane with imbedded rubber crumb. It is water based, so easy cleanup. Hmmm, anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.