Deck coating to use over epoxy and fiberglass

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sbklf, Jul 18, 2007.

1. sbklf

sbklf Junior Member

I repaired the damaged deck area of my boat with epoxy and want to recoat the entire deck.

What can I use to recoat over both the old gelcoat (I can tell it is poly something when I sand it) and the epoxy areas?

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I am currently about to paint the deck of my sailboat. I will use Interlux Brightside single-part polyurethane. I will lay down the first finish coat and spinkle non-skid onto it, and let that dry, and then add one or two coats over.
    If you want to spend double, for a job that lasts twice as long, use a two part ployurethane. On a deck, this could make sense. If using non-skid, an ultra-smooth finish and spraying aren't needed. You would be going for hardness with the two-part.
    You can also spray gelcoat, and then there're a whole bunch of other coatings that have good grip, I'm sure. I like to keep things simple, so I stick with a single part poly myself.

Alan

3. MagicDiver

MagicDiver New Member

I am also about to paint my boat. I am very interested in Sterling Paint.

Does anyone know where I could buy it in California?
    Thankx

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i paint with awl-grip 2 part, for both primer and finish, its tougher then the gel-coat, and we paint our high-end yachts with it

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.