scaling/printing issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by jmedick, Jul 9, 2007.

1. jmedick

jmedick Junior Member

okay, im designing a kiosk for my company and right now i need to build a little 3d model. So.. i thought that i would scale the drawings down to 1":3.6". and then when the print outs come out i would just tape that to the material and cut it out like that. however once i scale it down it only prints out one sheet of paper-in the right scale-but only printing out a piece of the model. i want it to print out the whole kiosk. i thought it would print out in tiles and i would just tape those pieces together to make the whole piece and work from there.
    so my question
    how do i pint out the views of my ENTIRE kiosk, scaled down, sp i can use them to trace my cut outs

Attached Files:

• p.png
      p.png
      File size:
      20 KB
      Views:
    • p0.png
      p0.png
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
  2. petlily

petlily Junior Member

"Check" the Window in the "View and Output Scale" msg box and use your cursor to pick up the whole Kiosk. You shall be able to print out then.

Note:Assuming similar procedure as with AutoCad.

3. jmedick

jmedick Junior Member

that works if i want he whole thing print on one sheet of paper. :) but i need to have the print out to be at a certain scale. as soon as i select the kiosk in window the scale changes.

Attached Files:

• p.png
      p.png
      File size:
      60.3 KB
      Views:
  4. jmedick

jmedick Junior Member

bad pic

Attached Files:

• p.png
      p.png
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Steve Baer

Steve Baer Rhino Developer

When you select a windowed print area Rhino makes an initial assumption that you actually want to print what you defined in you window and sets the scale to "Fit". After you have selected the window of what you want to print, tweak the scale controls back to 1":3.6". You can then use the "Move" button to move the window of what to print.

It sounds like you want to perform tiled printing. Some HP printers support what they call tiled or poster printing through the printer driver. This would allow you to define a page size larger than what the printer can actually handle and the printer would automatically handle printing the individual tiles.

Another option would be to print to PDF. Open the PDF in Acrobat and select print. Acrobat has a page scaling option to tile the output.

Thanks,
    -Steve

6. jmedick

jmedick Junior Member

thanks that sounds like exactly what i need.
    one last question
    how do i print to pdf. i have acrobat.
    thanks
    -jmedick

7. Steve Baer

Steve Baer Rhino Developer

There are a ton of PDF printer drivers out there. Once installed, they look like a printer to Windows and you can select it from your list of available printers.

I have had good luck with PDF995 (http://www.pdf995.com/). Most of the others available out seem to also work quite well.

Thanks,
    -Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.