deck cabinetry hardware

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by grokcam, Sep 9, 2009.

1. grokcam

grokcam New Member

Hello everyone, hope this doesn't sound off the wall but we are subcontracting exterior deck cabinetry and furniture for a large yacht. They insist on cabinet door and drawer hardware that have the feel of residential cabinets ie. no positive latches or catches. I am at a loss of how they can expect such to be sea-worthy, I can just imagine doors and drawers flying open during a storm and the ensuing lawsuit. They haven't been helpful with suggested hardware and I have a feeling they don't have a clue. I'm not from a marine background so I can claim ignorance but we have a navel architect working worth us who also seems at a loss of how to satisfy their requirements, such as also all hardware to be of 316 stainless. We can't find anyone producing marine cabinet hardware to suit their desires, ie. sea-worthy without latches/catches and made of 316 stainless. Does anyone have any suggested hardware sources or info which might help us? Are they being unreasonable/unrealistic? Thanks in advance for any help and sorry I'm rather long-winded :) BTW great forum and thanks alot, now I need to build a sailboat on top of everything else I want to do in my woefully short life. All the best, Jake

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

One of the keys to a successful relationship with a designer and builder is the understanding of who the experts are. They hired you and sometimes you have to put your foot down and say things like " in all good professionalism, I/we can not permit this part/design element/ gadget or device be installed on your vessel". "Furthermore, it would be unsafe, unwise and quite dangerous for you to go to sea equipped as such. Not to mention against USCG regulation such and such. Therefore at the request of my insurance company, legal department and/or common sense (insert one) I must insist that the subject in question be handled . . . (detailed suggestion) . . . thank you and sorry for an inconvenience, etc., etc., etc. . . ."

People having large yachts built, like to toss their weight around. After all it's their money, their project, their dream, right? Nope, it's often necessary to smack them down to reality for their own good. This takes some skill and one I've learned to dance from time to time, but is never a comfortable thing to do. You want and need their check, but more importantly is the success of the project and safety of the owners long after delivery.

Take the high road (which usually means you blame it on the legal department) and insist for safety sake that it be done the way you find necessary. Some times it's helpful if you toss a few ABS, ABYC, Lloyds, etc. standards or regulations at them. Just the numbers and a few well chosen comments. It doesn't have to be the truth, they'll never look up the particular standard you site, but it helps if you sound convincing and resigned to the reality of these standards.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Chromed brass is probably more commonly available than stainless steel. Try ABI marine hardware.

4. Greybarn

Greybarn Junior Member

Look at the Sugatsune or Southco Hardware. There is a good variety of SS Hardware that is available. Suncor also has some SS hardware.

5. grokcam

grokcam New Member

Thanks Par, I agree and don't think the liability is worth it, others would just like to collect the check and give them what they want. Thanks guys on hardware suggestions, Sugatsune is where we've been sourcing, but not in 316 which I still haven't found. I will try Southco and Suncor. Thanks, Jake

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Sounds like another case where the buyer is educated beyond his intelligence. You can feel free to quote me.

I do business with clients, many of whom know more than I do (not the boat business) even though I have done this kind of work for 50 years and they have read two magazine articles. The invoices for my finished work go for less that 1K so I can afford to suggest that they take their business elsewhere. Surprisingly, I still have more work than I care to do. Reputation for getting practical and favorable results does get around.

In this case, I think that Par has shared some bits of wisdom for handling the problems.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.